Chameleon > General Discussion

Which partition to install Chameleon steps on?

(1/2) > >>

dre2kse:
I am currently running chameleon v1 (1.012 installed on disk0s1, msdos filesystem) and have the researched the steps to install chameleon v2 but don't know which partition to apply the commands to

Also step 5 says, mount_hfs but if it is disk0s1 (EFI partition below, as I suspect), this partition is a msdos filesystem which adds to my confusion.

Here's my partition layout. Should I be doing the steps below to /dev/rdisk0s1 or /dev/rdisk0s2:
diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                     *74.5 Gi    disk0
   1:                        EFI                              200.0 Mi    disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS beast                  74.2 Gi     disk0s2

Here's the steps I've researched:
1. open Terminal
2. (Determine your install harddisk with)      ??? disk0s1 or disk0s2
diskutil list
3. sudo -s
(Enter password)
4. mkdir /Volumes/EFI
5. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI        ??? disk0s1 or disk0s2
(Do not forget to change _X with your harddisk number from step 2)
6. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra
6. (Download new Chameleon and put folder on your desktop)
7. (open the chameleon folder and cd to the subfolder i386 in Terminal- just type cd and Space and drag the i386 folder into Terminal)
8. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX
(do not forget to change X with your harddisk number from step 2)
9. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1
10. sudo cp boot /Volumes/EFI
11. (cd to the Extra Folder in your new Chameleon Folder (on your desktop) in Terminal)
12. cp smbios.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra
13. cp -R Themes /Volumes/EFI/Extra
14. cd Volumes/EFI
15. cp DSDT.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra
16. cp com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra
17. cd Volumes/EFI/System/booter
18*. cp Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra
19. umount -f Volumes/EFI
20. rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

Kabyl:

--- Quote from: dre2kse on May 17, 2009, 10:16:25 PM ---I am currently running chameleon v1 (1.012 installed on disk0s1, msdos filesystem) and have the researched the steps to install chameleon v2 but don't know which partition to apply the commands to

--- End quote ---
We've never released a 1.0.12 version, maybe you should ask for support and help from the people/person who released that?

--- Quote ---...

Also step 5 says, mount_hfs but if it is disk0s1 (EFI partition below, as I suspect), this partition is a msdos filesystem which adds to my confusion.

Here's my partition layout. Should I be doing the steps below to /dev/rdisk0s1 or /dev/rdisk0s2:
diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                     *74.5 Gi    disk0
   1:                        EFI                              200.0 Mi    disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS beast                  74.2 Gi     disk0s2

Here's the steps I've researched:
1. open Terminal
2. (Determine your install harddisk with)      Huh disk0s1 or disk0s2
diskutil list
3. sudo -s
(Enter password)
4. mkdir /Volumes/EFI
5. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI        Huh disk0s1 or disk0s2
(Do not forget to change _X with your harddisk number from step 2)
6. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra
6. (Download new Chameleon and put folder on your desktop)
7. (open the chameleon folder and cd to the subfolder i386 in Terminal- just type cd and Space and drag the i386 folder into Terminal)
8. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX
9. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1
10. sudo cp boot /Volumes/EFI
11. (cd to the Extra Folder in your new Chameleon Folder (on your desktop) in Terminal)
12. cp smbios.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra
13. cp -R Themes /Volumes/EFI/Extra
14. cd Volumes/EFI
15. cp DSDT.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra
16. cp com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra
17. cd Volumes/EFI/System/booter
18*. cp Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra
19. umount -f Volumes/EFI
20. rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
--- End quote ---
Same here, maybe you should ask the person who suplied you with the above steps?

dre2kse:
Kabyl,

Thanks for the response and your huge contributions to the OSX community.

The v1.0.12 I ended up with after using the UIinstaller from pcwiz following the steps from here
http://ihackintosh.blogspot.com/2008/12/prepare-your-hackintosh-for-updating-to.html

The steps were put together after research and modding steps I saw under the chameleon 2.0RC1 comments section.

It's starting to seem clear why most of this has contradictions. Any help or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Lord Anubis:
Hi,

I did never use this script.

You wrote you have disk0s1.

with 2 Partitions
disk0s1
disk0s2

your disk is 0, X = 0. In your one disk setup, you dont have any choice.

4. mkdir /Volumes/EFI - Make a tmp Volume named EFI what will be used for disk0s1 as a navigation/access point
5. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI - Remember your X=0 !! Creation of that access point

8. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX - This places in the first sector of your HardDisk ( nothing to do with your partitions ) the code of the boot0 file.
9. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1 - This places, like the former step, code directly in the first sector inside your first Partition rdisk0s1 ( EFI ) but now using the boot1h file

10. sudo cp boot /Volumes/EFI - this Copies just the boot File in the EFI folder and will be visable in the Root of the EFI partition

As a reminder: If you add a second drive or an usb-stick in your system, that could mean that you 'system' drive will be get a different drive number, Like rdisk1.

HTH

dre2kse:
Thanks for the help Anubis,

There is some confusion at step 5:
5. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI - Remember your X=0 !! Creation of that access point

When I try step 5 mount_hfs returns invalid argument and fails. Further investigation, shows this the partition is msdos, confirmed via fstyp /dev/disk0s1 and I can mount it using mount_msdos.

My concern is should I continue with the steps seeing that all the steps i've seen expect hfs but mine is really msdos?

Can you kindly share/tell if your EFI (disk0s1 in my case) labeled partition is hfs or msdos?

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version