overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Bad Idea: Installing Chameleon into both OS X & EFI partitions  (Read 9382 times)

HELLFISH

• Entrant
I can't get any options to function.  Maybe I am doing something very wrong.  I install the chameleon in the EFI partition.  I boot up OSX, bring up a terminal and type

Code: [Select]
sudo -s
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

I then edit the file at /Volumes/EFI/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
so it looks like this:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>GUI</key>
<string>no</string>
</dict>
</plist>

But this has absolutely no affect.  What am I doing that is wrong?

Here is what I am trying to do:

I want my Vista partition hd(0,3) to be the default partition that will automatically load after a 5 second delay.
If I want to boot OSX hd(0,2) then I arrow and select it.  A little help?

Moderator Edit: Changed title to reflect the actual SNAFU being discussed. Highlighted issue + fix too.
Moderator Edit 2: Thread cleaned, irrelevant posts removed
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:56:20 PM by rocksteady »

HELLFISH

• Entrant
Re: Where to adjust Chameleon options?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:40:03 AM »
OK... call me a complete idiot.  I had inadvertently installed the Chameleon to both the OSX and EFI partitions, and while I was busily editing the EFI version with no results, the OSX install was taking priority.  I got things fixed up now, and am brilliantly dual booting with Vista now!  Shaweet!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:27:46 AM by rocksteady »

BlacPro

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »
OK... call me a complete idiot.  I had inadvertently installed the Chameleon to both the OSX and EFI partitions, and while I was busily editing the EFI version with no results, the OSX install was taking priority.  I got things fixed up now, and am brilliantly dual booting with Vista now!  Shaweet!

OK... call me a complete idiot too, but how did you "get things fixed up"? I think I'm in the same (idiotic) boat.

EDIT: okay that was easy... just used terminal to get rid of /boot and /Extra. On reboot, the EFI chameleon was used instead. I still entertain the possibility that I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:33:26 AM by rocksteady »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:44:55 AM »
LOL

The same thing happened to me. We are all idiots... :o  ;D
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

_saint_

• Entrant
Re: Bad Idea: Installing Chameleon into both OS X & EFI partitions
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
I may be able to top you all in idiocy. :P
How do you know if Chameleon is installed in more than one place?
I Have an MBR partition setup. (i am 80% certain, i'm learnign alot today..)

Basically i have 3 partitions
1) Windows 7
2) Leopard
3) a FAT drive with no OS on

I've installed RC4 to this, thinking this is where the previous bootloader was installed to, am i right in thinking that?
it says RC4 now on boot, however there is no acknowledgement to the apple.com.boot.plist file i made and place inthe /extra folder. (i've added options for theme change, and hide partition 3 etc.)

I've also tried to edit the plist in library/pref/sysconfig.. and no change still.

So my overall question is, if there is another installation of Chameleon around, where could it be?

_saint_

jemenake

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50:23 AM »
OK... call me a complete idiot.  I had inadvertently installed the Chameleon to both the OSX and EFI partitions, and while I was busily editing the EFI version with no results, the OSX install was taking priority.
So, just to make sure I understand this correctly: You had the com.apple.boot.plist and the "boot" bootloader in both the EFI System Partition and the MacOS partition, and you were editing one of those com.apple.boot.plist files and it wasn't having any effect because Chameleon was (without you realizing it) booting the one it found on the other partition? Is that right?