overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Creating Themes Guide - Updated for v2.1 rev1994  (Read 138704 times)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Creating Themes Guide
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »
is it possible to modify the bootscreen like the old apple logo and spinning thingy?
You can change the Apple logo if you like by changing the boot.png in the theme folder (check the boot.png in the shipped default theme). Other users have also tried creating a full screen boot.png the same resolution as the display to effectively give a new design to the page, but remember that the booter doesn't use any accelerated video so this method will probably result in you seeing the image being drawn. You'll have to do some testing.

Note: Chameleon supports the LegacyLogo key/string pair in the com.apple.Boot.plist, which allows users to use the default apple boot screen, effectively disabling your work.

As for the animated gear icon, you can't change that as it's drawn by the kernel.

10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

audiophile_user

• Entrant
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
i apologize for the late reply. hopefully i can change the background to black leaving the apple logo there :)

jeffrey1790

• Entrant
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 04:12:25 AM »
Im also looking to change the background color behind the apple logo. This one:

Leeward

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »
How is the position of the device description text set ?
The text for my device descriptions ends up positioned over the device .png images, not below it. ?

Thanks !
Lee

EDIT: Ok  after experimenting a bit, I discovered that the Device/Volume text position is relative to the position of something else.  I THINK.... BUT I may be wrong.. that it is relative to the bottom of the "device_selection.png".
I noticed that "font_small.png", in many of the current themes, is taller than just the letters (and the red dots that delineate them).
So I cropped the bottom of "font_small.png", and rebooted..... cropped....rebooted..... eventually I found how tall "font_small.png" needed to be for my theme.

So in recap... the plist file doesn't adjust the position of the device/volume text.... the size of the font graphic does.

Question:[b/] Is there a way to prevent long volume names from overlapping the name beside it ?  (eg "Mandriva Linux Install")

Cheers,
Lee

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:50:09 AM by Leeward »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »
See the post at the top of this page.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »
Hi Lee,

How is the position of the device description text set ?
The text for my device descriptions ends up positioned over the device .png images, not below it. ?
The devices names are drawn below the 'Devices Crop Box' (that's what I call it) - See illustration B 2nd Options Screen in the main front page post. And the 'Devices Crop Box' is variable depending on the height of the devices and device selection.

If you want to move the device name lower then you need to make a device graphic taller. So for instance, you can have a 128(W)x128(H) pixel device icon but position that at the top of a 128(W) x256(H) pixel rectangle, so you will have a 128 pixel gap below the device.

I noticed that "font_small.png", in many of the current themes, is taller than just the letters (and the red dots that delineate them).
So I cropped the bottom of "font_small.png", and rebooted..... cropped....rebooted..... eventually I found how tall "font_small.png" needed to be for my theme.
Yes, see my guide on the front page of this thread. Look for 'devices_iconspacing' as this seems to have an effect on the device names being cropped. The larger the gap, the larger the font can be. I don't know why this happens, but it just does.

So in recap... the plist file doesn't adjust the position of the device/volume text.... the size of the font graphic does.
Yes (see above)

Question:[b/] Is there a way to prevent long volume names from overlapping the name beside it ?  (eg "Mandriva Linux Install")
No, all you can do is use a more condensed typeface or make the typeface smaller.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:33:12 PM by Blackosx »

jeffrey1790

• Entrant
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 06:03:07 PM »
See the post at the top of this page.

So its not possible to change the background color, say to black using Hex Code? Or is the background also drawn by the kernel?

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »
So its not possible to change the background color, say to black using Hex Code? Or is the background also drawn by the kernel?
As far as I know, that's correct. It's handled by the kernel.

phattbam

• Entrant
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 10:26:14 PM »
I resized a theme already made... and right after the boot selection is made there's some text at the top left of the background image that comes on before the screen changes. I never had that before the newly installed themes. Also is it possible to rename the "text" of the devices? They are currently NTFS and I wanted to relabel it as Windows

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
What exactly does the text say? as sometimes it's normal to have this. Are you booting in verbose mode (-v)?
As for the device names, Chameleon will display the name of HFS+ volumes only, not for NTFS or EXT3/4 volumes.

Although there has been some development with BSD installs http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,984.0.html

phattbam

• Entrant
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »
What exactly does the text say? as sometimes it's normal to have this. Are you booting in verbose mode (-v)?
As for the device names, Chameleon will display the name of HFS+ volumes only, not for NTFS or EXT3/4 volumes.

Although there has been some development with BSD installs http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,984.0.html

On the screen that skips to the apple logo boot screen, it shows something like "old(er) version" and I can't quite see what else it says. I was using an enabler created by a user over on the S10lenovo.com forums. On that set up it never displayed any misc text on that background screen. It doesn't really bother me yet. but I'm just wondering what it is. I have a Mac HDD and a NTSF HDD partitioned on a 160gb HDD.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 12:11:16 AM »
I was using an enabler created by a user over on the S10lenovo.com forums. On that set up it never displayed any misc text on that background screen.
Using an enabler? what exactly was it?

But for the general text displayed in the top left hand corner, you can hide it with the following boot option in the com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>

phattbam

• Entrant
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 08:39:28 AM »
I was using an enabler created by a user over on the S10lenovo.com forums. On that set up it never displayed any misc text on that background screen.
Using an enabler? what exactly was it?

But for the general text displayed in the top left hand corner, you can hide it with the following boot option in the com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>

Where do I make those changes? Sorry for the noob question

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 08:52:12 AM »
Where do I make those changes? Sorry for the noob question
In your /Extra folder you will have a file named com.apple.Boot.plist. This is used to tell Chameleon what you want it to do when it boots.

Have a look through this post for reference to the /Extra fils structure and the com.apple.Boot.plist.
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,996.0.html

phattbam

• Entrant
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
In your /Extra folder you will have a file named com.apple.Boot.plist. This is used to tell Chameleon what you want it to do when it boots.

Have a look through this post for reference to the /Extra fils structure and the com.apple.Boot.plist.
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,996.0.html

Hi I checked it out... I already have boot banner set to no.. it's loading something else that flashes on for a bit and then goes away.