overdue-scratch

Author Topic: A tutorial for Chameleon Installation?  (Read 13420 times)

montanaman79

• Entrant
A tutorial for Chameleon Installation?
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »
I am a complete noob to the Hackintosh realm. I'm very well versed with the Windows flavour, but anything beyond that, I might as well be an AOL user. My question is if there is a tutorial for Chameleon RC1, assuming that you have a machine with NO OS.

I have a custom built box with:

e4600 Core 2 Duo
FoxConn G31MX-K board
2 GB DDR2 RAM
320 GB EIDE drive
IDE DVD-RW
Retail OS 10.5.6 Leopard.

I tried reading the tutorial supplied using commands that I'm assuming are Linux based, but like I said...noob. Is there a tutorial that at least describes getting started. I'm on Dial-up at the moment so you can imagine how long I've been searching for something in the forums and on the OSx86 project site. I found one tutorial which was created in Sept, so it's safe to say, it's outdated, and it involves using the Chameleon_DFE_for Hard Disk and the Boot-132 bootloader. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-R

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:14:38 AM by montanaman79 »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: A tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »
Hello + Welcome

Could you fix your title, or at least its missing parts? i.e. A tutorial for installing Chameleon

The basics (Official Docs) are stickies in this very sub-forum, did you go through them?
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

montanaman79

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »
I apologize for the title. I read the stickies, but like I said, I don't understand it. I know the commands that it says to input mean nothing to me as far as an operating system. I don't know anything about having a boot disk or typing any commands or placing anything on an Master Boot Record. Total newbie. Besides Chameleon, do I need to create a boot disk, I only have a Windows platform, so I'm lost. Thanks for any help you can give.

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:05:04 AM »
No problem with beginners montanaman, no one was expert from day 1.

However anyone can do decent descriptions + some searching (esp. when seeking help).

Now, why don't you try the installer that automates the whole installation process? You'll find it under the Official Downloads section of this forum.

If you're seeking a whole-picture guide to osX86, you'll definitely have to look around in other forums as this one only focuses on Chameleon and the rest of the VoodoLabs software.

Why don't you elaborate on what you're trying to achieve? dual-booting windows and MacOS X? which version of windows? etc

btw: If you don't want to research the matter further, you may be better off stopping here. osX86 has come a long way but don't expect to spend 20 minutes clicking buttons and have a real Mac.

btw2: does this discussion help you in any way?

ps: You can still edit the title by editing your first post. Please do so inorder to reflect what kind of help you're looking for.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:07:38 AM by rocksteady »
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

montanaman79

• Entrant
Re: A tutorial for Chameleon Installation?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:25:30 AM »
Thank you for attempting to be patient with me, rocksteady. Here is my scenario.

I have a box, in which I describe above.

The drive is empty, and I'm assuming since it use to be used to run XP and was formatted, it's one big NTFS partition.

Obviously, I need to start somewhere and boot off of some type of media, THAT's the start I'm asking for. I own a retail copy of OSX 10.5.6. I'm assuming I need to make a boot disk of sorts using some program. I download Chameleon and I understand at the least that it is an Apple Installer Package, which to me, I'd need to have OSX already installed. I'm not getting it, like I said, and as you can tell. I know nothing about bootloaders and my ultimate goal is to install OSX on a completely wiped machine. When I look at the readme, it starts with commands such as "sudo" and other commands, I know nothing about. Don't know if I can be any more clear than that. Hope that helps.

Lord Anubis

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:38:38 AM »

Hi,

You have to understand things before you start. If you dont, dont do it. The first steps has to be done right.

Did you try to boot off with the OSX retail disk?

It didn't work? So you need something where you can boot from AND install MacOSX and Chameleon

Search for boot123 in google and insanelymac

Read this f.e
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130441

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114834

There is also a mention about grub-dfe.iso, search for that. Works too.

Again read, read and read, till you got it.

About sudo and other terminal commands, google for it, it is basic unix. You have to read about those comands, it not just copy paste. You never know what the intention was of the writer, study it. Maybe you need some adjustments. Its not that difficult.
HTH
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
Search for boot123 in google and insanelymac
It's "boot132", I think.

dabman

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 05:30:25 PM »
I agree with O/P on this one.  I know this is about development, and it's fun for the coders.  I get that, and I'm not trying to put anyone out with this thought. 

But how about a quick how-to from the top?  I was fortunate enough to get Chameleon installed once, after much searching/reading/learning on various places around the web.  I love it and want to use it over again... but I now forget how I did that, and searching again through all the forums isn't bringing a concise, clear step-by-step answer in any less time than I had to spend the very first time.  Why is this? 

I'm a developer, too.  I cook and bake. I develop food.  If you wanna eat, come enjoy my wares!  I won't force you to read disclaimers, rules or forums.  All you gotta do is find me, like us noobs are finding this forum.  Feel free to learn more about my wares by reading the menu or asking questions of my staff, but it's not a prerequisite. I understand that you just may be hungry, and have a need to satisfy that feeling.

So when/if I figure this stuff out again, I intend to fully document it and bring it back here for all to learn from.  But I gotta tell ya up front, that's gonna be a while.  Life gets in the way, and the time between when I figure it all out and now is time I am not using the software, and not running OS X on my x86 hardware... it's time that I am going hungry.