Author Topic: Kext not updating with Apple RAID  (Read 2864 times)

skydrone

• Observer
Kext not updating with Apple RAID
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »
Hey guys,

I have Chameleon RC1 installed into a USB Pen Drive and booting an Apple RAID with proper Volume UUID on boot.plist in the USB drive, booting alright with some kext inside USB's /Extra.

Noticed that when I boot with -v -f arguments, the whole process just lasts for a few seconds (it rebuilds only the kext inside /Extra). So I think I'm having a outdated mkext inside "Boot OSX" RAID volumes. This gives me some hardware issues like sleep, iPhone...

Tried a clean install on RAID, to install Chameleon on Raid Boot sector with same issues. Also tried a clean install on a single hard drive without RAID and when I boot with -v -f, I can see it rebuilds all kext inside /S/L/E/, lasting some more time. With a single drive I don't have any hardware issues.

Any light?

Cheers!

Terc

• Forum Moderator
Re: Kext not updating with Apple RAID
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:55:33 AM »
I'm using software raid with chameleon 2.0 RC1 on three computers right now, and have been for months before chameleon 2 first hit RC.

I've never noticed issues with the mkexts falling out of date.  Here's what actually goes on:

1. When extensions in S/L/E are updated, OSX notices and will rebuild the mkext on the /BootOSX partitions (diskXs3) You should be able to tell that this is happening because you will see a Boot caches are being updated prompt while the computer is shutting down after an extension change.

2. YOU must rebuild the mkext on your USB key each time that there is an update to a kext.  Use mkext builder if you aren't familiar with the command line tools to do this.

You should have no issues if both these things are happening.
Let me know if this works for you.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:21:25 AM by Terc »

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »
Update:
I have resorted to using Extra/Extensions/AllMyKextsHere and am no longer using an mkext file.

There are a few reasons, but mostly it's going to mean less work for you, and a more reliable system.

skydrone

• Observer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 10:55:06 PM »
Hi,

Can you tell me which is the default mkext location inside BootOSX? I can see in one of this partitions, there is a mkext under its /BootOSX/S/L/E which is from may!!

In the other BootOSX volume, the mkext is from last time I rebooted.

Is this working right?