overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Another "Linux Not Showing Up"  (Read 7241 times)

diamondsw

• Observer
Another "Linux Not Showing Up"
« on: May 29, 2009, 12:17:31 AM »
Let me preface this by saying I know my drive/partition layout isn't optimal; right now I'm testing Chameleon to ensure it works for all of my needs before I give grub the heave-ho.

Simply put, my Linux partition is not displayed by Chameleon, in either the text or GUI modes (not that there should be a difference). My drive layout is as follows:

Code: [Select]
Drive 1: 4GB SSD, MBR partition map
Bootsector: Grub
hd(0,1): Ubuntu 9.04 (using grub)
hd(0,2): BIOS (another I'd like to hide)

Drive 2: 64GB SSD, MBR partition map
Bootsector: Chameleon 2.0rc1
hd(1,1): Leopard
hd(1,2): WinXP (using NTLDR)
hd(1,3): Win7 (using BCD)
hd(1,4): Data (+1 vote for hiding partitions :) )

Drive 3: 16GB SD Card, MBR partition map
hd(2,1): SD (yet another I'd like to hide)

Grub comes up first, as it fairly seamlessly boots into Linux, Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, saves the last boot selection, etc. (t's just ugly, so I'd rather use Chameleon). From there, I chainload over to Leopard, and use map to swap primary and slave drives; otherwise I tend to get "waiting for root device" problems when booting into OS X. Chameleon loads and works fine; I can still boot back to Windows XP. However, I can't get it to see my Linux partition.

Ultimately, Chameleon will replace grub on the primary drive and these various id's will change, but I doubt that will affect my core problem of Linux not showing up - and I don't want to commit to that until I know it will work.

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
Re: Another "Linux Not Showing Up"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 06:01:47 AM »
Install grub to the partition ( /dev/sdXn) not the disk (/dev/sdX).

This has been discussed enough, please use the search option :)

diamondsw

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:47:30 AM »
Install grub to the partition ( /dev/sdXn) not the disk (/dev/sdX).

This has been discussed enough, please use the search option :)

I'll go fix grub. Thanks for letting me know instead of just posting "hey noob, lrn2search" as so many other places do.

However, regarding searching, why is it that every forum for support of something technical comes back with that response? DealDatabase, Handbrake, InsanelyMac, etc. People arrive, search, find either old or partially applicable tidbits (or other posts saying to search), ask, and then get berated for not searching. In this case, I must thank you for also helping me with the problem and being nice about it. :)

More forums could style themselves after the MyDellMini forums. Since I have an Eee, it doesn't do me too much good, but it's nice to see someone who gets it.

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »
Well, I still think people should use the search option, and I tell new members to do so without an answer to their question.

The reason I answered was because of the impression of your post :P It's not the kind of "Please HELP!" topics..

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »
First of all welcome to the forum

Secondly, few thoughts/facts:

Thanks for letting me know instead of just posting "hey noob, lrn2search" as so many other places do.

noob= no problem
beginner= no problem

lazy= problem

However, regarding searching, why is it that every forum for support of something technical comes back with that response? DealDatabase, Handbrake, InsanelyMac, etc. People arrive, search, find either old or partially applicable tidbits (or other posts saying to search), ask, and then get berated for not searching. In this case, I must thank you for also helping me with the problem and being nice about it. :)

Ever noticed that:

80-90% of the posts ask the same question(s). People get creative with the title but not with the description

Old threads do not contain a contagious virus. They're there to be updated, followed-up and provide useful/helpful information/solutions. Otherwise they'd be deleted.

The only way for a forum to stay searchable, is to keep its information coherent (both titles + descriptions)

Most people who take the time to answer questions are friendly + helpful. That does not mean that anyone can waist their time.

Ever tried to search insanely? Is it cool to find a discussion about DSDT in a thread titled "How to format your HD"?

Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

diamondsw

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
Back on topic, installing grub to the partition did indeed get it to show up, but now it won't boot, dying in grub stage2, which is odd since the install picked up that my config files were all at /boot/grub. Stuff to troubleshoot over in LinuxLand - Darwin looks like it's correctly making the handoff.

Old threads do not contain a contagious virus. They're there to be updated, followed-up and provide useful/helpful information/solutions. Otherwise they'd be deleted.

My experience has been that old info never does get cleaned out. I don't know if you're familiar at all with Tivo hacking, but just like the evolution of OSx86, it's changed a lot over the years as it gets more surgical and elegant. But the main forums for that stuff (DealDatabase) are never cleaned out, so if you search you're extremely likely to get bad, conflicting, or fragmentary info. It would be like searching InsanelyMac and getting lots of posts about "deadmoo" and devkit era posts, because there was a lot of activity then.

But if you're going to clean sweep the forums to keep it updated and fresh, more power to you. :)

Ever tried to search insanely? Is it cool to find a discussion about DSDT in a thread titled "How to format your HD"?

Ugh, I tend to avoid InsanelyMac. I'll grab kexts when needed and link back to it, but posting there is an exercise in frustration. I've very rarely gotten any help there, as whatever I'm facing doesn't scratch someone else's itch.