overdue-scratch

Author Topic: GraphicsEnabler and PCI EFI fix  (Read 3795 times)

eyvind

GraphicsEnabler and PCI EFI fix
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:02:46 AM »
While browsing on insanelymac, i found a post on how to add PCI devices to the  PCI section of about this mac. In the article, the poster writes that its easiest to add these values in the same section as the Nvidia section in an EFI string. To clarify things, here is the original quotedlinked post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134842&st=0&p=1001279

The problem I'm having is that with GraphicsEnabler, if i add the AAPL Name, slot name efi string, the graphics enabler stops working: it goes back to recognizing a generic 32 megabyte nvidia card. If anyone could help me on this matter, i would be very grateful. Otherwise the only option is to go back to using EFI strings for the nvidia card (this way it works).

Another question I have is how does the GraphicsEnabler option recognize the NVcap value? I noticed that in IOreg, the nvcap value reflects Dual DVI + TV out (s-video), while EFI studio does not automatically recognize this.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:32:56 AM by eyvind »
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
Re: GraphicsEnabler and PCI EFI fix
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »
It's weird that you prefer having the PCI device shown in "System Profiler" which is purely cosmetic, over having its properties detected and set automatically.

Anyway, the reason for that is, when you set the device-properties in the Boot.plist it's used instead of the auto-generated one by the booter, there is no support (yet) to merge them into one.

Oh, and could you just post a link instead of a complete quote?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:37:31 AM by Kabyl »

eyvind

Re: GraphicsEnabler and PCI EFI fix
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:36:20 AM »
Oh sorry about the quote, I just had the strange idea that we were not allowed to post links to outside forums?

Anyway I was really tired when I wrote the previous post, what i meant to say was that the only way for the PCI detection to work was with EFI strings, not that I was going to swith back. The graphicsenabler option works great. Anyway I noticed that if you have anything in the device-properties section (or even if it exists), GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn disables themselves. This is very problematic since there are many other fixes in EFI strings (like HDEF, or other hardware).

Otherwise loads of kudos to all the developers for bringing out an excellent release :)
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack