Author Topic: A different Chameleon Linux Triple Boot Problem (Linux on USB)  (Read 3172 times)

bluemotev

• Entrant
OK...  first let me say thanks to all the posts.  This is not the typical linux problem, so please keep reading (I have read all the linux posts).  I am a new OSx86 guy, and am an avid fan of learning new things.  I recently setup a new a dual boot machine.  I have Vista on the first partition (MBR intact) and I installed iPC on the Second partition.  I also installed Chameleon on the second partition, and I set the second partition as active using Flag 2.  This way the machine boots into Chameleon, and Chameleon sees both Vista and Mac, and Vista boots perfectly fine (I avoided the winload.exe problem this way).  Anyhow, I decided, hey, why not try and install my fedora distro on this machine, so I have all three on my fingertips?  But, I didn't want to repartition my internal drive.  So, I installed fedora (x64) on an external USB, and I installed Grub on the external drive as well.  My problem.....  Chameleon doesn't see the Linux OS on the external USB at all.  I thought this would be a good way to avoid any conflicts in bootloaders (Chameleon on partition 2, partition 2 set active, Vista on MBR, and Grub on external USB drive).  However, I can't even see the external drive in Chameleon.  Any tips?

bluemotev

• Entrant
Re: A different Chameleon Linux Triple Boot Problem (Linux on USB)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:33:01 AM »
Nevermind guys (and gals) I just went ahead and resized my partitions and installed linux on the free space.  Got all three working.  For those that care, I am using Vista x64, iPC and Fedora 11 x64 (pre-release). 

emasson

• Entrant
    • MaXX Interactive Destkop
Re: A different Chameleon Linux Triple Boot Problem (Linux on USB)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:43:32 PM »
Hi there!

2 things to check!   I have several installations of Linux all installed on 2 disks and all with GRUB installed in the partition, NOT MBR!

Maybe 2 things you could check:

1) is Grub installed on your /boot or / partition ? 
2) is you /boot or / partition is EXT3 ?  Does not seams to work with XFS, EXT4, Reiser and others... EXT2, EXT3 are the way to go.

have fun!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:05:05 PM by emasson »
An Apple a day helps keeping the Gates away