Author Topic: 10.5.6 iDeneb, boots only with DVD inserted  (Read 3432 times)

Mithryx

• Entrant
10.5.6 iDeneb, boots only with DVD inserted
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:22:41 PM »
Hello.

I tried finding a post here on this forum where this was discussed, but I couldnt. I did find some others, but being a bit of a noob on Mac OS, I didnt quite find what to make of it.

My install works well, however I can only boot when the installer DVD is inserted, and I just let it go through it and boot the normal OSX install, not the installer. I downloaded Chameleon since that was one of the tips, installed it, but nothing new happend. Same screen with boot0:error in the end.

I am running one single partition, 1.5TB, its disk0s2 if I remember correctly, so it should be fairly easy to make it work. But allas, I dont seem to get it right, so I was hoping there would be a genious here that would take pity in my cause and help me out with the details.

Regards, Tom

Edit: Short update, when I go to the Startup Disk utility, the disk itself doesnt even show up. Its fitted with GUID bootloader (as far as I remember), just running the one partition with iDeneb 10.5.6, and nothing else is in the computer. Just Network boot that shows up in Startup Disk.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 10:26:01 PM by Mithryx »

Xeikon

• Observer
Re: 10.5.6 iDeneb, boots only with DVD inserted
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:09:39 PM »
Same happens to me. Can anyone please help us ?? Thanks in advance.

DooV

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »
I read somewhere about problems with Chameleon and big partition due to memory adressing being too short for such huge data size.

Anyway, there can be lots of extra factors not having nothing to do with Chameleon. First of all, DON'T USE hacked isos, all they do is making impossible to judge where the cause of problems come from since they have lots of modified files. Second, include info about your hardware. Some hard disks controllers are known to be buggy with osx. Best is to stick to intel ICHxR's and set the controller in AHCI mode.

Mithryx

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:10:20 PM »
Hello and thanks for replies.

No, this isnt a Chameleon problem, this happens with the clean install of iDeneb. The reason I posted here is that alot of the replies I have seen regarding this problem says "install Chameleon and problem solved", however it did not magically solve itself this way for me :)

So I was hoping there would be someone with knowledge of this here that could perhaps help.

My computer is based on a Asus P5B Deluxe card with the ICH8 controller active and the JMicron controller disabled. It was in default settings, I have set it to AHCI now, and will do a clean reinstall again to check.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:12:12 PM by Mithryx »

Mithryx

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
Problem solved, as the previous poster stated, enable AHCI mode and it was fine. Only "problem" is it takes a very long time before it starts booting, but thats not really much of a problem. So thanks for the help, much appreciated.