Author Topic: Kernel panic, IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext  (Read 5151 times)

discmeister

• Entrant
Kernel panic, IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've got an EP35-DS3P board running a successful 10.5.6 installation via a basic bootloader on CD.

If I load up PC-EFI v9 and put the extensions.mkext file from the bootloader CD in my /Extra folder then it will boot quite happily from the CD.

I thought I'd give Chameleon v2 a try on a fresh install, just to see how it looks. And the answer is: awesome - but it doesn't work.

I've placed the same extensions.mkext file in /Extra, as outlined in the instructions (i.e. NOT in /Extra/Extensions).

I get the boot selector screen okay - I can even select and boot Windows XP successfully, because it's on the same drive in a separate partition - but when I select OS X I get a grey curtain screen of death. I did a -v boot and it appears that a kernel panic is being caused by IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? To repeat, if I boot with PC EFI v9, it works a treat. If I boot with Chameleon v2,

Is there some simple reason why it would fall over? Permissions, for example?

Hope someone can help. I could, of course, go back to PC EFI v9, but Chameleon v2 looks so much better...

Discy

DooV

Re: Kernel panic, IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:37:58 PM »
You have that error because somehow you are not using either a fixed DSDT table neither a disabler.kext

IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is known to produce kernel panics if you don't have a fixed DSDT table. So, some people choose to load a modified one with PCEFi v9 or Chameleon, and others just put disabler.kext in their extensios so that kext is never loaded.

discmeister

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »
Thanks for this. Disabler.kext is in my extensions.mkext file, though - and remember, that extensions.mkext file does work with PC EFI v9.

I've given up on Chameleon v2 and gone back to PC EFI v9 - but I'll revisit this soon, because I really like Chameleon v2's interface.

Just thought it was worth pointing the disabler.kext thing out, for everyone's benefit. Perhaps, for some reason, it's not loading extensions.mkext?

Discy

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:15:25 PM »
Make sure it's Extensions.mkext and not extensions.mkext, and run this in Terminal:

Code: [Select]
touch /Extra/Extensions.mkext
If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what would be the issue.