overdue-scratch

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Chameleon - 10.5.6 and Sleep/Hibernation on Lenovo Thinkpad X60  (Read 4863 times)

OSX Homer

• Entrant
Hello guys,

how do I have to configure Chameleon so that I can use hibernation or sleep or standby? Should this work without setting any parameters in chameleon?

Everything works fine but the sleep.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad x60 with OS X 10.5.6 from Retail-DVD installed and its starts perfectly with chameleon.

When I go to hibernation (in german: Ruhezustand), the screen goes black and the machine ignores further  wake-commands like tipping the keys, playing with the mouse etc.

It seems so that hibernation ist a solved thing or why cant I find no howto? A link to a good site would be very helpful!

Cheers,
Homer

P.S.: If Hibernation works, I will donate!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:43:42 PM by rocksteady »

zhell

Re: Chameleon - OS X 10.5.6 and Sleep/Hibernation on Lenovo Thinkpad X60
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »
"Ruhezustand" is "Sleep mode" or Suspend to RAM or ACP S3 state. Hibernation is "Deep Sleep" or Suspend to Disk or ACPI S4 state. With laptops, Apple actually puts them to S3 state but before that, stores an image of the memory on disk to allow them to resume from S4 should they run out of power during S3.

It sounds like S3 is not working for you, and the reasons may be manifold.
Please describe exactly what happens and in what sequence.
Expected behavior:
1. Screen goes dark
2. Fan turns off
3. Computer shows the "moon" icon (at least that's what my T42 does running Windows)

Do you get all the way to the moon? If yes, then the problem is likely the wake-up or resume process.

OSX Homer

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:39:59 PM »
When I start sleep (its hibernatemode 3), the screen goes dark, the hdd powers off and thats all. No moon appears, the normal poweron-lights are still there. Then I have to soft-poweroff the computer. Chameleon reconnizes sometimes a hibernation-image on reboot and says that the image is t old for booting.

I have OS X 10.5.7 with all updates installed. USB, Firrwire, BT, PC-Card, Sound, Display works fine.

I think its something with the kext, but which?

zhell

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
I'm no sleep expert, but one frequent cause of a system that does not reach S3 state is if Apple's USB driver doesn't recognize the USB ports and disables power management for those. When it's time to sleep, it starts the process but then stops before switching to S3. You can either install patched IOUSFamily from slice (insanelymac) or get the USB Debug Kit from Apple, here http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/download/usbdebug.html. The debug kits has the advantage of telling you in plain English if it does not support power management for the USB ports right at boot time. There's a convenient .pkg to install and one to uninstall them and re-install the original ones.

OSX Homer

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:42:58 PM »
I found out that the reason is the PCMCIA-Driver from Chun-Nan. When I disable the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext, Sleep in Hiber 3 works, but now I get a 0192-Bioserror that I Cant fix. :-(

OSX Homer

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »
Hello!

I SOLVED it! I am so happy! It works no much much better then under XP!

What Did I do? I Delete the AppleLPC.kext right like her: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=77045

That was ist! Now it works abolutely perfekt.

Thanks a lot!!!

Cheers,
Homer

EDIT: Works better unter OSX than XP
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:17:18 PM by OSX Homer »

OSX Homer

• Entrant
This works unter 10.5.3 and latest 10.5.7 with all updates. It has nothing to do with the bios!