Author Topic: So where is /Extra/Extensions really located?  (Read 6221 times)

entmike

• Entrant
So where is /Extra/Extensions really located?
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:09:29 PM »
I've got Chameleon 2 RC1 installed on my PC (using the installer package), and it works great.  I thought at one time, I'd read that one of the many benefits of using Chameleon was that /Extras/Extensions was obviously outside of the OS that way you didn't have to worry about polluting /System/Library/Extensions.  I wish I had the link, but I thought it also said that /Extras/Extensions/ actually resides (or can be configured) to reside on the 200MB EFI partition.  Is this the case by default?  Is Chameleon actually doing this by default?  The reason I ask is I'm thinking about using a Retail DVD (currently I use iPC just to get me up and running) but would like to start vanilla.  My fear is that if I am wrong and I blow away my current OS X partition and reinstall, that maybe my memory served me incorrectly and /Extras/ was actually not on that EFI Partition.  Can anyone point me to a post or perhaps explain if this is correct/incorrect?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

EDIT: Indicated how I installed Chameleon.
EDIT #2: Found the URL talking about EFI installation that I was thinking about:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

My follow-up question would be would this work with Chameleon 2?  I ask because of the notice at the top of the post.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:46:00 PM by rocksteady »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:46:09 PM by rocksteady »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

entmike

• Entrant
Re: So where is /Extra/Extensions really located?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
Thank you very much for that link!  I guess where my disconnect in understand still is, is how exactly can I determine or change where Chameleon installed when I used the install package?  I'm not scare of using command line to do things, I had just opted to use the package installer at the time.  It sounds like my installation now resides on the Leopard partition, which is a bummer, as I'd love to be able to migrate this stuff over to my EFI partition.  This would allow me to blow away my current Leopard partition obviously, and reinstall without worrying about all the .kexts.  Is there a how-to on how I would get this thing onto my EFI partition?  I'm a bit wary of using Munky's tutorial, as it was written for a more-or-less deprecated EFI loader.  From the post you linked me, here is the portion I'd like more elaboration on:

Chameleon's boot file gets installed in the root (/) of your Leopard partition or in the root (/) of your EFI partition.
^ How do I make this happen?

I'm assuming it would be some variant of these instructions, and then making the EFI partition the active one somehow?

Normal Install (non-RAID):
  --------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
         sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
        sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
        sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!

Thanks again for pointing me to that link!  It will be very helpful once I figure out how to get Chameleon onto the EFI partition!

EDIT: Added quote I'd like elaboration on.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:46:16 PM by rocksteady »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »
Hi entmike + welcome

Please search before posting, the "link" that Blackosx pointed you at is a thread at this forum.

Regarding your questions, please read the thread mentioned above again. You (as a matter of fact, all of us) have 2 options to install Chameleon: either by the Installer .pkg or manually with the binary files.

If you go for the Installer .pkg, and also check the Chameleon EFI HFS box, you won't have to manually issue commands from the Terminal.

If you have a solid MacOS X installation there's nothing that Chameleon may do to "blow it away". Worst case scenario is that you'll mess up the bootloader(s).

90% of the "problems" is troubles from the ones who do not follow official instructions or are into multi-booting but have no clue about bootloaders.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:46:24 PM by rocksteady »
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

entmike

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »
Thanks.  I'm an idiot.  Apparently the reason I could not find the answer to my question is because I'd totally forgotten that the installer package had options indicated in your link and it was so obvious from the beginning that only a functional retard such as myself would neglect to notice it.  For what it's worth, i -did- search and read that thread twice but still managed to totally not realize that the Installer package had options!  Thanks again, I thought I'd lost my mind.

If you have a solid MacOS X installation there's nothing that Chameleon may do to "blow it away". Worst case scenario is that you'll mess up the bootloader(s).
My concern is not with Chameleon screwing up my install, my concern was leaving Chameleon in place by getting it on the EFI partition which has been my question the whole time which you have answered so I can blow away my OSX partition and still have Chameleon in place.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:46:33 PM by rocksteady »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:51:30 PM »
Glad you sorted it out mike  :),

This topic will get locked as its only redundant. Feel free to discuss your Chameleon experiences in any other thread or start a new one if you find out something not already being discussed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:46:39 PM by rocksteady »
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives