Author Topic: Duplicate kext which one is loaded?  (Read 5020 times)

gmacman

• Observer
Duplicate kext which one is loaded?
« on: April 25, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
I have a couple of modified kext in the /Extra/Extensions folder and the ones that are the same (but modified) from the vanilla ones give me the following messages at boot:

Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI" with older/same version (3.2.5 -> 3.2.5)

Do I have a problem here?  Or is this just saying that the one Chameleon loaded is (correctly) causing the one in the /S/L/E folder to be skipped?

Lord Anubis

Re: Duplicate kext which one is loaded?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:31:37 AM »
Hi,

I am also curious about to find a kind of matrix or order which kext will be loaded or/and replaced.

However wit the line you mentioned I guess there was no change because it says 'skiping'.

Maybe someone with inside info?

LA
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

gmacman

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 06:49:26 PM »
Actually, I'm not sure if it's changed or not.  Obviously one of the kext of the same name and version is being loaded, the real question is which one?  I've searched through the insanelymac forums and this issue comes up a lot but I have yet to find a real answer, which I find particularly annoying since it is obvious this happens quite a bit.  I don't care about the message as long as I know which one is being loaded.  The bad answer (IMO) is to just say "well, just take out the one you don't want in the s/l/e folder..." but that defeats the purpose of trying to maintain as vanilla a system as possible.  I just want to find out if there is a concrete answer that says this one is being loaded and the other is being skipped.  And IF in fact it is the one in the Extra/extensions folder being skipped, then I suppose I have no alternative but to remove the s/l/e one.  Which would be a real bummer, but I could live with that.  Chameleon is such a huge benefit that minor things like this mean nothing.

statman24

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »
I'm curious as well.

BTW... where do you change the version number in the kext?  Maybe if you change the version number in the kext from the extra directory, then the warning message will change slightly giving us a better clue as to what is going on.

Just an idea.

thorazine74

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
The order is of course:

1st: the ones in /Extra/Extensions or /Extra/extensions.mkext
2nd: the ones in /System/Library/Extensions

About the versions I think it just follow the same rules as OS X, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
- Same version kexts, the one loaded first will prevail (so the ones from Extra will NOT be replaced by the ones from /S/L/E); actually I think you cant load same kext a second time, you would have to unload it first...
- Different versions kexts, newer versions will always replace older versions, no matter where they are from (so v1.1 of Some.kext from /S/L/E will override v1.0 of Some.kext from /Extra/).
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

jfmac

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
use kextstat in the terminal to see which one is loaded
check the man pages for kextstat options and kextload, kextunload