overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Boot order issue, please advise  (Read 2909 times)

koshia

• Entrant
Boot order issue, please advise
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I thought I finally give this a try and tri-booting Vista, iDeneb 1.4 , and ubuntu w/ swap.

After 15 times partitioning and formating the drives, I finally got all 3 to install properly.  The only issue I have right now is boot order issues after installing Chameleon 2.

As of the moment, Grub is install on the Swap drive to take care of loading vista, osx86, and ubuntu.  If I hit osx86 as the option, Chameleon will appear and ask if I want to boot into Vista  or OSX86.

I am sort of new to this and especially new to the mac seen.  I was wondering how I can get Chameleon to be the primary bootloader and get rid of grub all together.  At the same time, I would like Chameleon 2.0 to recognize ubuntu as a boot choice.

Ideally, I'd like Chameleon to boot up first asking if i want to boot vista, osx86, or ubuntu and boots into vista by default after 30 seconds.

I am sorry if this is the wrong forum/site to ask, but after 8 hours of tweaking with this... It gets frustrating and I had to ask for help :/.

Thanks in advance,
Vaughn

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:11:06 PM by koshia »

thorazine74

Re: Boot order issue, please advise
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:14:48 PM »
Did you install first grub to a partition or to a drive? If you installed to the drive you would need to reinstall chameleon so it shows up instead of grub. Also I think if you dont have grub installed to linux partition chameleon wont see it as bootable.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

koshia

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:17:54 AM »
Did you install first grub to a partition or to a drive? If you installed to the drive you would need to reinstall chameleon so it shows up instead of grub. Also I think if you dont have grub installed to linux partition chameleon wont see it as bootable.

Thank you for your advice.  I will give it a try when I get some spare time this week.

Thanks again.

Arial

• Observer
    • Mac-iNUL.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:13:12 AM »
if all OSs installed on same drive.
set active the partition that you want to use its bootloader.
20090831 |  ⌘  on Abit IP35-E | Intel C2D E68