Author Topic: Provide an img file to write to a USB memory stick  (Read 4088 times)

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
Provide an img file to write to a USB memory stick
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:44:14 AM »
As far as I can tell, the 2.0 RC1 installer comes as a .pkg which requires a Mac OS X to run it in order to install it to a disk.

What about users that have no Mac accessible at all? How shall they cope with this?

A simple solution for them would be if you also offered a short img file that has the boot loader pre-installed. One could then write this to a USB stick and boot from it, just like it works with EFI-X, I believe.

I can help with this if necessary. I have code to write to a USB stick on block level under Mac, Windows and Linux for that (based on my own tool "iBored", which is a sector editor).

zebrum

• Entrant
Re: Provide an img file to write to a USB memory stick
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:49:02 AM »
This is exactly what I came here looking for!

I'd like a usb disk with a bootloader that lets me boot off the leaopeard DVD and install it. Then I can just leave the USB disk in all the time and use it to boot off. That would be perfect for me.

I have a mac so don't mind a pkg that can make the USB stick. All I need is a guide.

thorazine74

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:00:58 AM »
I think Chameleon cannot boot the DVD from USB right? I'm not sure if thats even planned to be supported...
Besides you would need to add at least the decryptor (and probably some disabler is needed for most of the people) to the image to make it useful right?
Without that the user would have to add the kext himself, that would mean the image should be made in FAT32 format (I think chameleon supports that, not sure) or require the user to be able to write to HFS+ partitions from Windows/Linux.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:25:17 PM »
I have looked into making this myself.

The best way to do this all is:
1. find an iso built for something similar to your mobo, or try the "universal" dfe iso out there.
2. Burn it, and use it to boot your retail DVD, install OSX
3. Reboot, and boot to your HD from the cd
4. Install chameleon, custom kexts
5. ...
6. Profit!!!

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:26:44 PM »
Also, I think it may be possible to boot from USB using at least some ASUS boards that allow you to choose USB Emulation type (also avilable on other BIOSs I'm sure)  Set the emulation type to CDROM and you're off!  (Or so I've heard)