Author Topic: Can chameleon boot from a logical partition?  (Read 6128 times)

macdanny

• Observer
Can chameleon boot from a logical partition?
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »
Can chameleon boot from a logical partition? I have read conflicting information in this forum and others. HELP!!

P.S. I have chameleon on the thumb drive that is currently booting the os, so why is it that chameleon installed to the internal drive can't seem to boot from a logical partition?

Moderator Edit: If you find conflicting information in this forum, please (always) include it in your posts. Info on other forums won't be discussed. Anything useful Chameleon-related should be brought/discussed here.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:31:37 PM by rocksteady »

macdanny

• Observer
Re: Can chameleon boot from a logical partition?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
Thanks for the moderator edit. This question is being addressed in another thread but I had started this one to be more specific about the problem once I understood it better. How should I close this one or mark it as solved?

Moderator Edit: You (just like any other OP) can Modify the very first post and edit its title (ie [SOLVED] BlahBlah?)

I usually do that from time to time, but it's really decent when members follow up their own posts (it also gives me more time to test Chameleon instead of ninjaing duplicate/redundant/wrong info to avoid the state of insanelymac). If you ever end up with a messed thread, you can always a fire a PM.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:30:40 PM by rocksteady »

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
I have chameleon on the thumb drive that is currently booting the os, so why is it that chameleon installed to the internal drive can't seem to boot from a logical partition?
Possibly because the phase 0 loader is written in a way that allows it to only function with primary partitions. And since its code has to fit into 446 bytes, which is already very tight, it may not be possible to change that.

macdanny

• Observer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:30:36 PM »
Thanks tempolo, zef already told me what you mention in another thread. Check it out at http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,481.15.html It's a short read and thorazine74 clarified the other thing that was bugging me, which is WHY does chameleon on the usb stick see and boot my logical partitions on the internal drive just fine.

strelok-ac

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
Can boot, but if your osx at logical partition the installition script cannot write PBR(boot1h) correctly, so need use bootice program to write "boot1h" file to OSX(boot1h is 1024byte = 2block loader), after can use grub4dos to boot it with "chainloader +1" command