overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Help me solve the "SetupAssistant loop after vanilla install" problem  (Read 2077 times)

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
Anyone who has installed OS X from an unmodified OS X Installer is probably familiar with the problem that the Setup Assistant, which asks for Language, Keyboard and Data to transfer from another Mac, will not continue but restart in an endless cycle unless you create the file at /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

(or am I wrong in this assumption? Maybe this only happens to those whose PC has no working Ethernet driver?)

I am now looking into alternative fixes for this.

I reckon there are two ways:

1. Avoid the crash which is apparently caused by a missing Ethernet interface, e.g. by making sure there is a dummy interface available
2. Use the "transfer data from another Mac" function, and supply it just with the nessary files for copying the network data.

My questions are:

Does anyone know how create such a dummy network interface to avoid the crash?
Or, for solution 2, which files are needed for that, exactly?

I'm trying to figure these things out myself as well, but if you have information, please share!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:52:00 PM by tempolo »

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
I got a little ahead on method 2:

It appears to only need to transfer the files inside "/Library/Preferences/", and maybe even only those inside "SystemConfiguration" therein.

But to even do that, the Setup Assistant needs to think the disk that contains these files contains a OS X system. And for that detection, more files seems to be needed.

So I need to figure out which files the Setup Assistants looks for on a volume to see that it contains a OS X System...