Author Topic: Proper kext to include in /Extra/Extensions  (Read 3762 times)

dre2kse

• Entrant
Proper kext to include in /Extra/Extensions
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:37:56 PM »
Let's say I want to include IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext, which is in the Plugin directory within IOAHCIFamily.kext, in /Extra/Extensions.

Which is the better thing to do?
Should I just copy IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext to /Extra/Extensions or the entire IOAHCIFamily.kext?

Lord Anubis

Re: Proper kext to include in /Extra/Extensions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »
I cant answer this because it will be depended on other variables.

I did do this with another kext installed in /Extra, and found out it wasn't loaded. The kext from /S/L/E/Family...kext was loaded, because it was dependend from the family.
Then I moved/copied the family as a whole into /Extras and it works.

My suggestion is experiment with this. But keep the permissions right.

HTH

Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »
My suggestion is experiment with this. But keep the permissions right.
Sorry to have to repeat this, but there is no need to watch the permissions in the Extra folder as long as you experiment, since they are not looked at by the bootloader at all.
So, no need to worry about this while experimenting!

Lord Anubis

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »
I cant say that your right about the /Extra nfolder, but
1. its a good partice to do this,
2. for /S/L/E it should be set correctly.
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »
2. for /S/L/E it should be set correctly.

Probably. Apple's docs say that this is a requirement or kexts won't be loaded (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KEXTConcept/Articles/kext_permissions_ownership.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40005417).

Since Apple only loads from /S/L/E, it might be better to watch the permissions there - OTOH, Chameleon makes it possible not having to mess with that folder at all, so this should hardly be an issue anyways.

The Extra folder, not touched by Apple's code at all, though, can have any permissions during testing.