overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Default partition not working for me, any clue why?  (Read 4556 times)

thorazine74

Default partition not working for me, any clue why?
« on: June 08, 2009, 03:42:11 PM »
I got this boot.plist:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>"Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32"</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Bootcamp</string>
<key>TimeOut</key>
<string>30</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>SNIPPED EFI STRING FOR GRAPHICS</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Any idea why the the default partition is not booting automatically after the timeout? Am I missing something very obvious? I dont get the countdown or anything else?
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

zarac

• Observer
Re: Default partition not working for me, any clue why?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
Are you sure that's the proper com.Apple.boot.plist?

If you're using Chameleon v2, you should edit the one in /Extra (or /Volumes/EFI/Extra if you installed bootloader to EFI partition) and NOT the one in /Library/Preferences/System Confinguration.

geticus

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
Hi to all of you

I have the same problem and I changed the good .plist located in /efi/EXTRA but nothing changed.

Any idea ?

zarac

• Observer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:13:33 PM »
what can i say, i haven't seen this behavior ever before.
check the permissions of the file.

also, note if you have Extra folder in both EFI and installed mac partitions. some users had similar problems, but it turned out they installed chameleon to both places.
if that's the case, just delete "boot" file and "Extra" folder from installed mac partition.

if not, well, test other bootloaders out there and see if the same thing happens.

zhell

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
Hi. The above looks redundant with the "<key>Graphics Mode</key>" part. I think you don't need these Kernel Flags; I for one only have the "<key>Graphics Mode</key>" and it boots fine in the right resolution.

Regarding the Default Partition, maybe your drive is not "hd(0,2)", but "hd(1,2)". It should be, but does not have to, as this depends on the BIOS.

Also, as a work-around: If you just want to boot Leopard automatically, try adding "rd=uuid boot-uuid=<UUID of root volume>" to the "Kernel Flags" key.
Note, however, that you will not necessarily be able to boot other volumes with Leopard than the one with the UUID specified as this will be passed to the kernel and it will look for that volume, no matter what you select in Chameleon (yes, it's a bug).

geticus

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »
Well, I'm only using EFI Partition

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Graphics Mode</key>
   <string>1280x800x32</string>
   <key>Instant Menu</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string>boot-uuid=37D9EBD3-961E-3C19-BF1A-8F5720617DD8</string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>3</string>
   <key>device-properties</key>... looong number

But still not start automatically
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:19:01 PM by geticus »

thorazine74

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
I'm booting from single Mac MBR partition, the boot.plist posted is the one in \Extra.
AFAIK permissions should not matter, besides the rest of the boot.plist directives work, only the Default Partition bit is ignored.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
Hi. The above looks redundant with the "<key>Graphics Mode</key>" part. I think you don't need these Kernel Flags; I for one only have the "<key>Graphics Mode</key>" and it boots fine in the right resolution.

Regarding the Default Partition, maybe your drive is not "hd(0,2)", but "hd(1,2)". It should be, but does not have to, as this depends on the BIOS.

Also, as a work-around: If you just want to boot Leopard automatically, try adding "rd=uuid boot-uuid=<UUID of root volume>" to the "Kernel Flags" key.
Note, however, that you will not necessarily be able to boot other volumes with Leopard than the one with the UUID specified as this will be passed to the kernel and it will look for that volume, no matter what you select in Chameleon (yes, it's a bug).

I've read the two "Graphics Mode" entries are different, the first one sets up Chameleon's menu resolution, the one in the kernel flag sets up OS X boot and desktop resolution.
hd(0,2) is OS X partition, same as the one appearing on chameleon text menu. However the drive order seems to be changed somehow after booting (hd0 in chameleon becomes hd1 for OS X), but the I have OS X partition in second partition of first BIOS drive, and is identified as (hd0,2) in chameleon's text menu.
I'll try your other suggestion, but shouldnt that disable chameleon menu completely? (stopping me from booting verbose or safe?). Is it this correct?

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>"Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32" rd=uuid boot-uuid=4146DC20-F89C-3FA5-8815-7AB28F7D9839</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Bootcamp</string>
<key>TimeOut</key>
<string>30</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>SNIPPED EFI STRING FOR GRAPHICS</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I dont have chameleon installed to the MBR, I suppose that doesnt matter for boot.plist parsing right?

EDIT: tried zhell suggestion, it didnt work :-( Did I put the kernel flag wrong?
Isnt it weird drive order is swapped between chameleon and OS X? This is chameleons menu, see Leopard partition is hd(0,2):

And this is how they show up in Disk Utility, disk0 and disk1 are swapped?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:05:01 AM by thorazine74 »
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)

geticus

• Observer
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:50:03 AM »
For me was silly :

<key>Instant Menu</key>
   <string>Yes</string>

Now is working

thorazine74

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »
For me was silly :

<key>Instant Menu</key>
   <string>Yes</string>

Now is working

So you removed that from the plist you posted and it worked? I tried with and without that in my plist and it made no difference...

I notice that changing Default Partition seems to work (i.e. setting it to hd(0,1) or hd (1,2) changes the partition selected by default in the boot menu) but it never starts booting that partition automatically.
Also tried setting QuietBoot=yes and it boots automatically but I cant get it to work when displaying the Boot Menu.

thorazine74

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 08:18:10 PM »
I couldnt get this to work, tried all the posible options I can think of.
The default partition gets selected but the timeout option seems ignored.
Can anyone post a working boot.plist that auto boots OS X with a similar setup as mine>
- MBR Setup.
- Chameleon installed in same partition as OS X
- Multibooting with several disks partitions.

The QuietBoot option works, but thats not what I want, unless there is way (pressing some key while booting?) to cancel the quiet boot and be able to put a kernel flag like -v for example...

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »
For me was silly :

<key>Instant Menu</key>
   <string>Yes</string>

Now is working

So you removed that from the plist you posted and it worked? I tried with and without that in my plist and it made no difference...

I notice that changing Default Partition seems to work (i.e. setting it to hd(0,1) or hd (1,2) changes the partition selected by default in the boot menu) but it never starts booting that partition automatically.
Also tried setting QuietBoot=yes and it boots automatically but I cant get it to work when displaying the Boot Menu.

I'm having the same issue, my drive is highlighted (correct drive) but doesn't boot until I press return.  I'm using Timeout of 2

I'd like to
get to the menu instantly (no timeout progress bar)
pause for 2 seconds
automatically boot from the disk I have selected hd(2,3) [YES, that's supposed to be 2,3, I'm booting to raid

right now I just get to the menu instantly, and have the correct drive selected