overdue-scratch

Author Topic: What's up with the "device-properties", exactly?  (Read 2226 times)

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
What's up with the "device-properties", exactly?
« on: June 22, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
I find a lot of guides and tools that can help create "device-properties" that go into com.apple.Boot.plist, but what I cannot find is some explanation what they're for.

For instance, on my Asus 1008HA, I first had an apparently wrong String for these in the Boot.plist. Later I created a "correct" one using OSX86Tools.app. Finally, I removed the entire entry from the plist. Nothing ever made a difference - I still have most things working, and I still get the wrong resolution (1024x768 instead of the netbook's actual 1024x600) because the original Apple's GMA950 driver does not match on the Asus graphics hardware, apparently.

So, can someone point me to a page that explains what these are for (I'm a developer, so I am looking for something that really explains it, not just say "you don't need to know" :)

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
Re: What's up with the "device-properties", exactly?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:07:43 AM »
Yes, Device Properties strings are useless if OSX' drivers don't support the device already somehow (or if you haven't modified them to support it)

It's against the rules to put links to other forums here so all I will say is visit the gfx-util thread in the PC-EFI subsection of Netkas' forum and you'll find the information you're looking for.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:24:39 AM by Beerkexd »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
Re: What's up with the "device-properties", exactly?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:18:35 AM »
visit the gfx-util thread in the PC-EFI subsection of Netkas' forum and you'll find the information you're looking for.

Uh, I've been to netkas' site a few times before, but never noticed the Forum. Thanks for the pointer.