overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Setting a time out with Chameleon and (Ubuntu) GRUB?  (Read 6060 times)

alex

Setting a time out with Chameleon and (Ubuntu) GRUB?
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
Hey,

I use Chameleon by putting the 'boot' in my /boot folder on a 9.04 Ubuntu install.

When booting, I see the BIOS, then the GRUB menu (which has a 2 second timeout defaulted on the 'Leopard' option, which chooses the Chameleon 'boot' file), and then I see the Chameleon GUI. The problem is it that there is no timeout on this; it wouldn't boot if I didn't touch it. Because Chameleon isn't installed on the OS X partition (and I don't really want it to be), I assume it isn't com.apple.Boot.plist that I'd edit to get the timeout working.

How would I go about getting a timeout?

Cheers,
Alex

hernandito

• Entrant
Re: Setting a time out with Chameleon and (Ubuntu) GRUB?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 02:24:17 AM »
Hi Alex,

I want to give what you are doing a try. Can you explain in detail how you are getting Chameleon to boot from Grub? What command are you using on the menu.lst to invoke Chameleon (I assume 2.0 RC1). What files did you copy where?

I think can find a solution but I need to replicate your install a little better.

Thanks,

Hernando

alex

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
Download the latest Chameleon. You only you the 'boot' file, no others (at least, I don't!)

The boot file needs to be moved in to /boot, and you need to put something like this in to your /boot/grub/menu.lst

Code: [Select]
title Leopard
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/boot

Where 'title' is whatever you want Chameleon called in GRUB, 'root' is the disk number of your linux partition (or, if you have a seperate boot partition, the disk number of that partition). If you do have your /boot folder on a seperate partition, the 'kernel' part would just be '/boot'. If you need any commands for moving the boot file and editing the menu.lst, just say. You'll need sudo for doing both :)

Cheers

thorazine74

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
I think chameleon's default settings (you dont have any boot.plist I assume) doesnt include auto boot with timeout, so you would need to include it in boot.plist, along with the default partition you want to boot automatically.
I think you cant put the boot.plist in the /boot partition, maybe if its FAT32 chameleon would be able to read it there, not sure, but if its Ext3 I'm pretty sure you cant.
Maybe it would be a good idea to make this the default settings for next chameleon release, that is, by default chameleon should try to auto boot the same partition its installed to after a sensible timeout (30 seconds?)
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

hernandito

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
Download the latest Chameleon. You only you the 'boot' file, no others (at least, I don't!)

The boot file needs to be moved in to /boot, and you need to put something like this in to your /boot/grub/menu.lst

Code: [Select]
title Leopard
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/boot

Where 'title' is whatever you want Chameleon called in GRUB, 'root' is the disk number of your linux partition (or, if you have a seperate boot partition, the disk number of that partition). If you do have your /boot folder on a seperate partition, the 'kernel' part would just be '/boot'. If you need any commands for moving the boot file and editing the menu.lst, just say. You'll need sudo for doing both :)

Cheers

Thank you Alex,

I was planning to put all this on a USB stick and keep my Mac install totally vanilla. Here is the setup:

MBR formatted
Partition 1 - Primary
   ext2 with Grub
Partition 2 - Primary
   HFS+ with Chameleon
Partition 3 - Primary
   Fat 32 empty, so Windows doesn't try to format stick

I follow putting the boot from Chameleon into the Grub /boot partition, but then where do you place the Extras folder with the boot.plist,all the kexts, and Themes?

Thanks again,

Hernando