Author Topic: 64bit request for early SL adoptee's  (Read 13182 times)

avian

• Entrant
64bit request for early SL adoptee's
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:50:05 AM »
Just want to thank everyone involved in both voodoohda and voodoops2, amazing work.  If not for those two projects snow leopard would be a no goer on my laptop (10a380 and the 10a394 update work flawlessly with your kext's).  Infact the *only* things I had to add to get SL working were dsmos, voodoohda and voodoops2 (no need for dsdt, injectors, smbios repalcement entries, nada).

My only request is that perhaps you could compile them for x86_64 architecture along with i386.  Either as a separate download or combined.  Might be nice for those wanting to try a -x64 boot.

If the request is too premature, does compiling the kext ones self require much effort?  Are there self contained instructions like typical linux sources, or is there more too it than that?

EDIT:  Ends up it wasnt too hard to do, and I've got a i386/x86_64 combined voodoohda working.  Thanks again to all the voodoo project guys.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:55:01 PM by avian »

dvil

• Entrant
Re: 64bit request for early SL adoptee's
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:08:10 AM »
avian,

I have tried to compile it for 64 bit SL with no success, in SL the compile options is grayed out an the support file cannot be compiled successfully. In Leopard it does compile fine however the resulting kext is only the 32 bit version even if the project options is set for 32/64 bit architectures, did you change something else in the xcode project or source code ?, with which Xcode version and OS did you compiled it ? could you please upload the kext somewhere else ?

Thanks.

avian

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:59:45 AM »
http://web.aanet.com.au/~duvnjak/mac/voodoohda_v021_64bit.zip

there ya go.  works fine for me in both 32 and 64bit SL kernels.  I linked it to 10.6 libraries and used xcode 3.2 under SL.  No idea if itll now work under normal leopard, havent tested.  Also I took the source from http://voodoohda.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ (in the state it was in last night), no idea if its the latest source available. 

let me know how it goes for you.  im generally stuck in 32bit due to the lack of 64bit intel x3100 graphics drivers on slow leopard for now, but booting into 64bit with non-accelerated video it still worked fine and seemed to keep working for hours.  So I'll basically keep using it in preparation for a full set of 64bit graphics drivers.

I guess a disclaimer is due too.  Incase its not obvious.  This 64bit compile wasnt done by - and is probably of no interest to - the official voodoohda team.  So please dont hassle them if it goes wrong or doesnt work (including bug reports), consider it purely experimental and use at your own risk.

dvil

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
Thanks avian,

Is working fine in SL 64 bit, no issues at all, and the input output ports are the same that I got in Leopard.

Thanks for the file. I'm still unable to compile the source, but that's other problem.

Cheers.

Repoman

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:04:49 PM »
Good work there avian - I can confirm the compiled version works on my motherboard (GA-EP45-UD3LR) using both the 64 and 32 bit kernels. Good job.

avian

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:44:44 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, glad it helped.

sweec

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:12:26 PM »
Great work! Works for me too, both 32/64 bit.

Now, avian, do you have a chance to get VoodooPS2 compiled for x86_64? My laptop's keyboard really need this. I tried to compile it, but stuck at " impossible constraints in 'asm' " with the inline declare of inb and outb for VoodooController target. The comment does say it need to be fixed. All other plugins in the package got compiled successfully for x86_64.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:30:48 PM by sweec »

roal2488

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 05:31:39 AM »
Does anyone by any chance have the voodoops2 compiled for 64 bits?

avian

• Entrant
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »
A bit of topic, but the guys asking for voodoops2 for 32/64bit, looks like dong over at insanelymac has done it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372

epal

• Entrant
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
Hi all,
`
VoodooHDA 64bit works well under SL,

until i remove disabler.kext, to allow appleintelCPU....kext, so i get sleep/wake now,

but when appleintelcpu.kext is loaded, the sound becomes distorted/stuterring.

I tried this after login ; voodoo works well, i load by "kextload" appleintelCPU....kext, the sound becomes distorted from this time.

I'm lost...

EDIT : i went to the last build (10421), now its ok, sleep works and voodoohda 64 bits works.
But now, the sound is distorted after wake up... (like in leo?)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 03:06:37 PM by epal »

grncdr

• Entrant
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »
Hi, thanks for this Avian, seems to work well. Any chance I could get the sources for your changes? I've created a clone of the SVN repo on github to make it easier for others to contribute code back to the project since it seems that the original authors don't have a lot of time to work on it now. It's available at github.com/grncdr/voodoohda

I've made some changes to be able to compile VoodooHDA.kext for 64-bit SL, but I haven't yet started on trying to compile libFloatSupport against the 10.6 SDK. 490 errors in XCode made me want to take a break and see if anybody else had done it ;)