Author Topic: 2.0 RC1 installer corrupts MBR disks  (Read 3012 times)

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
2.0 RC1 installer corrupts MBR disks
« on: July 01, 2009, 03:49:43 PM »
I could not find this mentioned as a bug yet, so here it goes:

I used the Chameleon Installer and chose to install it onto a USB stick that was formatted with MBR, and a FAT32 partition starting at block 63. The installer went ahead happily, and afterwards all looked fine.

But after un- and re-plugging the USB stick, it turns out that the disk structures got damaged.

This should be avoided - the installer should at least refuse to install itself if it's such a format, or be fixed to work on MBR and/or FAT32 as well.

Lord Anubis

Re: 2.0 RC1 installer corrupts MBR disks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:14:03 PM »
I could not find this mentioned as a bug yet, so here it goes:

This should be avoided - the installer should at least refuse to install itself if it's such a format, or be fixed to work on MBR and/or FAT32 as well.

i think there was a request like this.
However an installer should work right, I do have my thoughts ( read as concerns ).

I do not believe that making the installer foolproof will create a foolproof system. A warning is Ok when it has not the default setup. How do we know if this, a refusing installment, is always wanted?

People should read and try things out, before they go into the hackintosh scene. If they can't figure things out they should not start with a hackintosh. Those things are things that give some risk. As you also have seen on the several hackintosh sites, people are often ask questions without do any checking. When people, like using an almost foolproof installer etc, can going deep before they encounter a problem, it will be more difficult before they want to check for solutions or find out what is going on.

I did see the question from DooV what always should be ask and is a good one "Have you read and understood this topic?". But how many do actually read? BTW not meant to ask you because you know what your doing :-)

Greetz
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:21:20 PM by Lord Anubis »
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios