Author Topic: Chameleon install error  (Read 2141 times)

kdawg

• Entrant
Chameleon install error
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:30:51 PM »
I mistakenly ran sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 on a GUID partition and now my OSX86 install won't boot. Hangs on "verifying DMI boot table" Anyone know how I can delete the MBR for this disk?

eyvind

Re: Chameleon install error
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
Try Testdisk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
instructions are on the site and it works with HFS/ntfs
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack

zhell

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »
If the command you have run is the one given in the Chameleon Read Me file, then your GUID partition table is still intact. The reason for this is that this command only overwrites the master boot record (MBR), which comprises the first 446 bytes of sector 0. The MBR partition table takes up the last 64 bytes of sector 0 and should not have been affected by this command. The GUID partition table only starts in sector 1, so it won't have been affected by that command either. If this sounds complicated, go to wikipedia and read about GPT and MBR.

eyvind

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 05:26:31 AM »
Hmm interewsting - i overlooked it was a GPT...

But then my question is what can  you do to repair a messed up GPT (where you mess up the mbr protective layer)?(im planning ot begin using GUID - http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,552.0.html)

P.S: When you install chameleon with the installer - does it automatically recognize a GPT disk and install it for a GPT disk?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:29:10 AM by eyvind »
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack