Author Topic: [THEME] Boot Different  (Read 8384 times)

kexlam

• Entrant
[THEME] Boot Different
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »
Boot Different
An Eclectic Theme for Chameleon, made for a 1024 x 600 screen.

I have put together this theme from various sources. Much is taken from several themes on the theme park forum at voodooprojects.org; I did not credit them individually but you will surely recognize and appreciate the original works.

Other stuff came from elsewhere on the web. Because the licenses require attribution to the original authors, here are the sources:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/15989
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brightmeadow/67932165/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roberts87/3968758347/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndevil/3651624894/

Feel free to improve on Boot Different in any way you like (Microsoft friends might change the header to "What do you want to boot today?", others might want to resize it to fit their screen). The GIMP files should be helpful. Make sure to include the links and an updated readme file in your upload because of the licenses mentioned above!

To see the Mac boot logo make sure the "Legacy Logo" key is set to "No" in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

To have my progressbar mini hacklet :-))) work as expected set the "Timeout" key to "5" in the same file.

The "logo.png" is so high because it is a convenient way to have your contact information in a line of the bottom of the screen. My address is edited out in this upload. Put your own address there -- I don't want all your lost and misplaced netbooks!

Finally, a HUUUUGE thanks to the people making Chameleon, and to those who set up the guides for creating and resizing themes, or put FontMaker on the web!

EDIT: New download. Fixed a bug (values for screen height and width values were interchanged -- thanks, Blackosx!). Also made the OS selection slightly more prominent.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:09:05 PM by Blackosx »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: [THEME] Boot Different
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »
Hi kexlam

Great to see another theme contribution. :)
I'm interested to see what you've done with the progress bar and I will hopefully get a chance to try it tonight

Well done.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

marclaniohan

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »
this looks really nice, i tried it out but i got a memory allocation error, i never got that before. it wouldnt boot, luckily i got it booted from a memory card i installed chameleon to. but yeah i like this theme

kexlam

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:17:03 PM »
I have Chameleon on RC3 on an MBR install. The only times I got memory allocation errors were when I tried RC4, I therefore went back to RC3. After NetBookInstaller with RC4 or RC5 comes out I'll use this theme with it and we will see. Sorry, can't be of much help here.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:08 PM »
Hi kexlam

I have finally got round to trying out your theme and just a quick note, I had to swap the key/strings in the theme.plist as the height had the value for the width and vice versa. They now read as follows:

<key>boot_height</key>
   <string>600</string>
   <key>boot_width</key>
   <string>1024</string>
   <key>screen_height</key>
   <string>600</string>
   <key>screen_width</key>
   <string>1024</string>

But the progress bar is clever and I like it, well worked out :)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

kexlam

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »
Hi Blackosx,
thanks for the correction. Strangely, it never made a difference on my netbook, but for others it might be crucial. Download is now fixed.

k