overdue-scratch

Author Topic: ALPS Modification for 2 Finger Scrolling  (Read 87660 times)

ab__73

• Entrant
ALPS Modification for 2 Finger Scrolling
« on: July 16, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »
Hi,

I've modified the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext to allow the following enhancements for ALPS Trackpads:

+ Stops that annoying cursor reposition when your finger accidentally touches the scroll regions of the trackpad.
+ Two Finger Scrolling Vertical and Horizontal, this apple mac feature is great.
+ Pointer resolution changed, gives better control over the speed of the mouse pointer.
+ Clicking at boot and after wake up from sleep.

I initially made this for a Dell M1530 XPS Laptop, but I'm curious about how it will work on other ALPS Glidepad Trackpads.

Attached is the compiled kext and the source code diff file, as per the Voodoo License.

I hope this is the correct place to post such files.

Thanks VoodooTeam for the excellent work!!

Just rename your existing VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext then copy this kext into the same folder location.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:41:48 PM by ab__73 »

Rebellious

• Entrant
Re: ALPS Modification for 2 Finger Scrolling
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
Well, thanks a lot for the driver. Will try to test it on my Dell Vostro 1510 as soon as OS X Leopard will be restored on it :) Of course, feedback is guaranteed.

timmyj

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:37:26 AM »
thanks a lot for the driver it works really well!! - prob the best the KB+mouse has worked on OSX on M1530 for me!
would a 64-bit compatible snow leo build be possible?

sweec

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »
Sure that you can recompile it for 64 bit snow leopard. I did that for normal VoodooPS2Controller and it works. Only that you must remove VoodooPS2.h and VoodooPS2.cpp from the target, and use VoodooPS2Controller with AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. The reason is that VoodooPS2Nub is not usable in 64 bit snow leopard.
My compiled version is posted here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372&st=0#entry1202851

Rebellious

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:22:29 PM »
Here is the feedback I promised earlier.

It didn't work for my ALPS on Dell Vostro 1510. Actually, tapping works only after manual reload of the kext. Scrolling I had earlier. Nothing looking like 2 finger scroll. Or am I doing smth wrong? I put the kext inside VoodooPS2Controller.kext and installed it with KextHelper. Then got permissions repaired and rebooted the system. After booting it tapping didn't work.

That's how it is. Still hope to get it working.

ab__73

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »
@Rebellious,

What you are describing is as if the trackpad kext is not installed on your system.

Follow the instructions in this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=119654&view=findpost&p=1191163

There is also a link to a full voodoops2controller.kext.

I would also check if you have removed all previous voodoops2controller kexts. check your /system/library/extensions and /Extra/Extensions folder.

Hope this helps...

Khan

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.  Supposed to be "no bugs" here but... I didn't see anything in the bugs department.  Maybe you can start a thread there and have a link to it here.

I've got a Vostro 1720 with an Alps trackpad.  I'll try to gather more info specific to the trackpad model.

Environment:  System 10.5.6 (retail) with Chameleon 2 (rc 431), all ps2 nubs and controllers removed (I hope) from both /S/L/E and from Extra/Extensions.  Installed voodooPS2 package 0.98.  Removed the voodooPS2 control panel from /S/L/PP.  Put your control panel in /S/L/PP.  Put your modified ALPS for 2 Finger Scrolling into /S/L/E/.

It is close.  Keyboard works great.  Trackpad pointer, tapping works great. 

Scrolling.  Two finger scrolling doesn't work.  If I try to use the right and bottom edge for scrolling... ah, the right edge does horizontal scroll to the right (but doesn't come back to left) and the bottom controls up and down scrolling in a very jerky manor.

Do I have things in the proper place?   Any suggestions?

Khan

ab__73

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »
Khan,

Thanks for the feedback.

Could you run Utilities/Console and search for "abmod" in system.log.

If you get the following line:

ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: ABmod, Loading Clicking Settings at Boot: 1, 1, 1

You have installed the driver correctly.
If not, install the full VoodooPS2Controller.kext from the insanelymac link in the previous post.

If you have the driver installed, I think it's a 2 finger scrolling calibration issue.

To confirm this for me, could you use 3 or 4 fingers to scroll?
So to increase the area touched on the touchpad and try moving your fingers up and down simultaneously to scroll.

If this works i shall provide a way to calibrate this driver to suit different trackpads and finger sizes.

I look forward to your feedback.

--
AB

Khan

• Entrant
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 04:19:55 PM »
Thanks AB for the system.log check.  It turns out that I chose the voodootrackpad driver when I installed Voodoo 0.98 that was interfering.  Might want to mention it.

Yes, once I got drivers sorted out I do have 3-4 finger vertical and horizontal scrolling. 

There are some numbers/variables that look like they control track pad characteristics in: /S/L/E/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist
are these variables that I can play with?

I notice the multi-media buttons don't work to.  Minor issue.   PEBCAK :)

It would make sense to get the VoodooPS2 control panel working for Alps (and others) so that people can customize their own settings.

Khan
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 04:01:01 PM by Khan »

supr2nr

• Entrant
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 04:46:52 AM »
I tested this on my HP Pavilion DV2550se.  Works great.  Can't say thank you enough for this.  I did find one problem though.  When I bring mine back out of sleep the clicking function stops working until I go back into the system preferences and un-check Clicking and then re-check it.

Anything I can do to get you information about this?  I would be more than willing to help with anything. 

donkey

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »
Thank you for the awesome mod!!!

One issue, when I go into System Preferences > VoodooPS2, I get an error "ApplePS2SypnaticsTouchPad Not Found"

Is there a solution to this problem??

Thanks!!!

Sys info: Dell m1530

ab__73

• Entrant
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 09:14:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback,

I'm looking into all of the issues that you have highlighted.

@donkey.
No solution to this error, just yet. My advice don't use it for ALPS, instead use the trackpad.prefpane located in the insanelymac topic. Link in the previous post.

--

AB

Rebellious

• Entrant
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »
@Rebellious,

What you are describing is as if the trackpad kext is not installed on your system.

Follow the instructions in this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=119654&view=findpost&p=1191163

There is also a link to a full voodoops2controller.kext.

I would also check if you have removed all previous voodoops2controller kexts. check your /system/library/extensions and /Extra/Extensions folder.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the advice, will try it out as soon as my laptop comes back from the servicing. Eventually, after all my manipulations with Hackintosh (especially concerning Sleep mode), the motherboard died (went to Sleep mode once and forever, never going out of it). As soon as I get it fixed, will continue the exciting experience of Hack user :)

Will inform you of the results for sure.

drumguy560

• Entrant
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 11:35:06 PM »
Hi all, i have a sony vaio vgn-sz230p running iPC 10.5.6 and i would like to report that two finger scroll in fact does work. only thing is every time i open up the voodooPs2 in the preference pane the program messes up and forces me to restart system prefs. any fix for this? my trackpad is waaaay to sensitive for normal everyday use, and the two finger scroll is not sensitive enough. any help is appreciated. thanks

sahib

• Entrant
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 08:35:12 PM »
Here's a recompiled version for x86_64 :)

10.6.1-x86_64 - chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658
Dell Vostro 1510 - T5670 (1.8Ghz) core2duo, nvidia geforce 8400m gs 256MB, Broadcom 4311, ALC268, ALPS trackpad.