Author Topic: Chameleon up and running on AMD  (Read 3759 times)

tetsuo_shima

• Entrant
Chameleon up and running on AMD
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:00:24 AM »
Hi there.
I recently installed Chameleon on my PC.
It's an AMD-System with the following Specs:
Processor:   AMD Opteron 175 (2,4GHz)
Memory:     2GB DDR2 RAM
Mainboard:  MSI K8N Neo4-F
Harddrives: 80GB PATA+60GB PATA

Chameleon works like charm to Dual-Boot my PC with Linux and OSx86, but it won't boot the Windows-Installation on my Second Harddrive. The error-message is something like "cant' find mach_kernel" and then it just returns to the OS-Selection Sceeen.

Any hints on this? I really don't know what I could to…

Archimedes

• Entrant
Chameleon can't find mach_kernel while booting linux
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:04:24 PM »
I have the same error message while booting linux :(

This is what I did (I'll use Linux partition names, as I am familiar with those):
* Installed iDeneb onto the first partition (30G [/dev/sda2, sda1 was created by the installer as well, but I don't know what it holds]) of my empty harddisk (120G total)
* Installed Chameleon in OSx86 (making it bootloader of /dev/sda)
* Created two more partitions using the Disk Utility, 20G sda3 for Linux and rest sda4 for data
* Backed up my OSx86 using the install disk, image on sda4
* Installed Arch Linux, formating sda3 as ext3, holding /boot and installed Grub into /dev/sda3

Chameleon still works (of course), and it detects my Linux and Dataharddisks (so I have "Leopard" with a Mac logo on the left, "Linux" with tux in the middle and "Data" with a Mac logo on the right), but if select Linux Chameleon flashs this message and returns to the selection screen:

Loading darwin...
Can't find mach_kernel

I searched the forum for the error message ("find mach kernel"), but this is the only post containing the error message I could find so I resurrected the thread.

I'll try to further investigate the problem (already spent several hours with no results, though I am a experienced linux user, running several servers and using gentoo as my desktop OS), but any help would be appreciated ;-)

Sebastian

(Oh, the topic title is really bad, but I hope that someone still reads this... @tetsuo_shima: maybe you could change it describing our problem instead of "up and running", which sounds as if everything is alright...)

//EDIT:
I was able to nail down the problem some more: The Install Disk created a GPT partition table and neither GRUB nor LILO are able to use it... damn... I'll create a new thread, as soon as I found a solution (or as soon as I give up on it), as this is a different problem.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:07:40 PM by Archimedes »