Author Topic: [Theme]  Katana   (Read 9234 times)

rmf_z

[Theme]  Katana 
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »
Hello everyone,

Well, another theme out of the oven, this time it's something about japanese culture and one of most famous swords of all, the Katana.
This time i moved things around the display, and also used some sort of a matching font.
It's just another theme, but i hope you like it, and feel free to comment or say something :)

This theme is for 1920x1080 resolutions, and i'm using latest version of Chameleon bootloader.
There's also a folder with SOME alternative icons if you have other OS/Drives, the font that i used (DomoAregato) is also included, just browse it.

VERY IMPORTANT
- If you choose to use the alternative icons, be sure to copy both files to the main folder (Katana), ex. "device_hfsplus_mav" and "device_hfsplus_mav_o" if you use "Mavericks".
Both files are needed as i didn't use a "device_selection" image, instead i used the "_o" files to act as the device selector.

You may wish to edit the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" to turn off the "Boot Banner" and the "Legacy Logo", specially the legacy logo :)

The thumb and preview images were taken with a phone cam, so they are horrible...sorry  :-[ ...final result is better, just download and try ;)

As always I like to thank Blackosx, CosmosCj, Enzo, rzooff, kexlam, xenatt, DMAUTOS and many others for inspiration :)

PS- Please, forgive my english mistakes, as English is not my native language   :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:10:58 PM by rmf_z »
OSX 10.10.5 / Windows 10 Enterprise | Asus Maximus VI Formula | i7-4770K 3.5 GHz | GSkill 16GB | EVGA GTX780 Ti SC 3GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: [Theme]  Katana 
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
Another lovely theme rmf_z! Well done  ;)

I appreciate the time you've taken to position everything and I like the placement of the menu and info box. It's also nice to see new fonts being used and in this case the Japanese style really suits this theme. One note though is I find the font too large, or the maybe the devices are too close together because the volume names overlap.

With regard to file sizes, I managed to reduce this theme from 14MB to 1.2MB. (This reminds me that maybe I need to check my own themes to see if I can reduce those too.. ha ha).

Don't take this as a criticism at all, but if I were to be picky then I would love to see the device icons appear as embossed/stamped in to the blade of the sword so it all looked silver. But hey, that's just my interpretation.. You have done a good job :)

10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

rmf_z

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
Thanks Blackosx :)

The font is a bit large yes, i can try to scale it down a little to see if it is still readable :)
Of course i'll not take it as a criticism :) I ask opinions and appreciate all the feedback to make the themes better for everyone :)
I remember of thinking in embossing the icons too when i was making the theme, but i went for the black and red icons instead, just don't ask me why :)
When i'll have some time, i'll apply your suggestions, and see how it looks :)

Thanks
Kind regards :)
OSX 10.10.5 / Windows 10 Enterprise | Asus Maximus VI Formula | i7-4770K 3.5 GHz | GSkill 16GB | EVGA GTX780 Ti SC 3GB

rmf_z

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »
Hello everyone,

Here is the v2 of the Katana theme, i've improved the majority of the theme (or i think i did :) ) with lots of new alternative icons, new background, new menu, smaller font, etc, just try it out and see for yourselves :)
I've followed Blackosx suggestion of embossing/stamping the icons on the blade, but unfortunately, at 100px size, the effect it's not that noticeable, you can see a little, but not that much  :-[
If anyone can help with that, i'm all ears.....and a few bunch of others organs too lol  :lol: :)

Kind regards to everyone :)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 01:04:40 AM »
Hi rmf_z

Thanks for taking my suggestion in to account!
Looking at v2, I think the embossed icons do work. Nice job. However, for me the rollover icons being full colour seem too strong.

But hey, that’s just my opinion. Let's see what others think ;)

Also Note: Background is sized at 1920x1080px 300dpi = 1.98MB Only needs to be at 72dpi.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 01:09:16 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

rmf_z

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Blackosx, i'm glad you like it :)
About the full color rollover icons, yes they are quite the opposite of the normal icons, they create a great contrast along the blade, if you have more than 3 icons on it adding at the same time a bit of color to the theme :)
I agree with you, let's see what others think, i sure would like to know more opinions, not only on this theme, but also the other ones as well :)

Kind regards :)