overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Would Chameleon be useful to boot Linux on a MacBook?  (Read 10121 times)

blast9999

• Observer
Would Chameleon be useful to boot Linux on a MacBook?
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:01:28 AM »
This is from my nephew, and I'm wondering if he could use Chameleon for his problem:

"pretty nice looking bootloader, puts grub to shame.

My friend installed ubuntu on her macbook, deleting OSX. When it didn't work afterwards I tried to help her with it and realized you need this special OSX program, "bless," in order to get the non OSX bootloader to load. Now she uses a bootloader written to a CD everytime she starts her computer since she couldn't find an OSX install disk. Live and learn...  "

I'm thinking it could work for her, any advice?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:14:15 PM by blast9999 »

zhell

Re: Would Chameleon be useful to boot Linux on a MacBooK?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:56:27 PM »
If she primarily uses linux, I think it would be easiest if she just set up grub.

I hope you do not feel offended by the following request, it's not meant to be offensive at all.

So far, about 100 people have read your post, but nobody was able or willing to write a reply. It could be that the "wrong" people read it because of its title.

To do a favor to everybody scouring this forum for postst that are relevant to them, could you maybe change the topic title to something like:
Would Chameleon be useful to boot Linux on a MacBooK?

Thanks,
zhell
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:45:46 PM by zhell »

blast9999

• Observer
Re: Would Chameleon be useful to boot Linux on a MacBook?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:15:58 PM »
OK, sure, done! But he has loaded grub, but says that "bless," in order to get the non OSX bootloader to load." means grub is the non osx bootloader. Must be a problem specific to a mac. I bet nobody on here has tried this, but I thought I'd ask.

sckevyn

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:05:50 PM »
This is from my nephew, and I'm wondering if he could use Chameleon for his problem:

"pretty nice looking bootloader, puts grub to shame.

My friend installed ubuntu on her macbook, deleting OSX. When it didn't work afterwards I tried to help her with it and realized you need this special OSX program, "bless," in order to get the non OSX bootloader to load. Now she uses a bootloader written to a CD everytime she starts her computer since she couldn't find an OSX install disk. Live and learn...  "

I'm thinking it could work for her, any advice?

You really really don't want to use Chameleon on a real Mac atm. It will do bad things, make it so you cannot boot OS X since it installs custom bootloader bits over the stock OS X ones.

If you have no OS X on the machine it might be a work-able solution but I would never install it on a real mac =)

sckevyn

MiTon

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:20:04 PM »
If it's a Intel-Mac you should give rEFIt a try!

rEFIt is a boot menu and maintenance toolkit for EFI-based machines like the Intel Macs. You can use it to boot multiple operating systems easily, including triple-boot setups with Boot Camp. It also provides an easy way to enter and explore the EFI pre-boot environment.

Although I don't know, if it works without having Mac OS X installed!

blast9999

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
Ya, that's what he is now using (rEFIt) and has the problem with having to "bless" the system to boot (from the CD).

mackerintel

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:23:31 PM »
Totally useless. Not only it's inappropriate to install chameleon on a mac, but also it doesn't boot linux without needing linux loader

blast9999

• Observer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »
Too bad. I thought he could install BCDEdit, but would need Windows to get that to work.

mackerintel

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 03:35:36 PM »
2 ways to load linux on mac:
-grub2.efi
-bootcamp (probably refit can turn CSM on even without bootcamp application)

blast9999

• Observer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 05:07:05 PM »
Would bootcamp require an osx installation on the MacBook?

mackerintel

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
No. Try rEFIt, You still need to install normal grub/lilo. Try also putting the install cd into the drive and hold option key during the boot

neophit

• Entrant
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »
I installed Chameleon on my MacBook (Aluminum Late-2008) using the package installer before reading that it was designed for OSx86. After rebooting, my MacBook loaded up OS X with out issue and I removed the Extras folder from the root of my drive. Are there any other steps I can take to ensure that I remove everything Chameleon installed?