overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Can't get Chameleon RC1 or RC2 to work  (Read 17028 times)

imacken

Re: Can't get Chameleon RC1 or RC2 to work
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
Hi again.
There is no external drive. There are 2 internal HDDs, the ones you can see above.
I've attached the bin files for the 2 HFS partitions.
There is no option in BIOS to select which HDD to boot from. Only choices are 'Notebook Hard Drive' or 'CD/DVD'.
Good luck!

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 09:24:36 PM »
Strange, disk1s2 looks fine and chain0 should find it.
Isn't there any option to specify the HDD order in the BIOS setup?
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

imacken

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »
Nope. As I said above, just the option to select Notebook Hard Drive or CD/DVD drive.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »
Ok, but which notebook hardrive. I mean in recent BIOSes there's a separate option to define the device order, like hdd, fdd, dvd, network and another option to specify the hard disk order.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

imacken

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 09:41:31 PM »
I know what you're saying, but on this HP notebook, there is no option to define the HDD order.
The choices are like you say, external floppy, optical drive, NOTEBOOK HARD DRIVE (no options), and network.
I could take the drives out and swap them, but I don't know what effect that would have on my Windows install.

imacken

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
I swapped the drives over, and as with the desktop we discussed earlier in this thread, everything boots up OK.
The HFS partition drives are now disk 0 and the NTFS ones are disk 1.  Chameleon is working fine.
Again, similar to the desktop, one of the issues is that EasyBCD will nor run when the it is not loaded on the boot drive.  It just gives a 'cannot access the BCD table' error. (or something like that).
This all leads me to think that Chameleon doesn't work unless it's on the boot drive.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 10:43:37 PM »
The 'cannot access the BCD table' is out of Chameleon's territory. It's because the drives were changed, the real question is why chain0 can't find the second disk - like it works well on your desktop.

Maybe if we know what's the contents of the neogrub stuff (in case you select EFI Mac in EasyBCD) we may update it with a fresh new Chameleon binary.

imacken

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 11:18:26 AM »
Hi Zef.
OK, after a lot of experimentation, I think I can state clearly that the Chameleon bootloader only works if the boot drive has a HFS partition on it.
Taking EasyBCD out of the equation - as I removed its entries - it seems quite simple.
On both the desktop and the laptop:
1) if I boot from the drive that has Windows on, then Windows boots straight in with no Chameleon or Mac options.
2) if I boot from the drive that has OSx86 on then Chameleon GUI comes up and I can select to boot from OSx86 or Windows, and both work fine.
Clearly, it would seem that a bootable HFS partition has to be on the boot drive for Chameleon to work.
What do you think?