overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Can't get Chameleon RC1 or RC2 to work  (Read 17027 times)

imacken

Can't get Chameleon RC1 or RC2 to work
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »
how do I get this Chameleon RC2 to work?
I've already posted details on my system and the problem I was having, but the subject got locked and I got my knuckles rapped by a mod!
I am very sorry that I have to ask such a basic question, but I am lost to see what to do!!
I have run the RC1 installer and nothing happens, I just get the same Darwin/Chameleon v1 bootloader as always. I ran the RC2 installer and just an error about some post-install script not being able to run.
I have tried searching, etc. but I just can't find an answer to this very basic question.
Can anyone point me in the right direction without this thread being locked as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:54:01 PM by imacken »

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
not another bad subject line, please!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »
I think your prev msg got locked because you used a bad subject line. and you're doing it again. This forum is not just to solve your problem but that of others as well, and it helps others by allowing them to search the forum threads, e.g. by their subjects.
so, correct your subject and you're more likely to get help

imacken

Re: not another bad subject line, please!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »
I think your prev msg got locked because you used a bad subject line. and you're doing it again. This forum is not just to solve your problem but that of others as well, and it helps others by allowing them to search the forum threads, e.g. by their subjects.
so, correct your subject and you're more likely to get help
I've got to say that after many years of using forums, I've never come across such a hostile attitute towards a newcomer.
Thanks for the heads up there.  I thought my first post was perfectly on topic and couldn't see what was wrong.  What should I have put as the subject to avoid all this?  What could be more general to help others in a search than 'how do I get the GUI to work'?

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
Re: not another bad subject line, please!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »
What should I have put as the subject to avoid all this?
your "how to make gui work" could means 100s of different problems you're having, all leading to no gui working (starting with cham not starting at all).
How about "Text mode works; how to enable graphic mode instead?". (answer: there is a .txt file with the installer that lists a lot of options you can put into the com.apple.Boot.plist file, and one of them controls whether you see the text or graph mode at start.)
Plus, rocksteady's comment asked you to look for similar threads (I guess his reply suggest that this has been asked and answered before). He tries to avoid dozens of identical threads.
Besides, forums suck! What we really need is a second-level FAQ that's maintained by a person, extracting solutions from the forum and putting them all into a "clean" database. rocksteady's effort of trying to manage this forum is deemed futile in the long term, I'd say.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:48:06 PM by tempolo »

zef

• Administrator
Re: Can't get Chameleon RC1 or RC2 to work
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:55:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure, that you boot something other darwin loader. Do you boot your 3rd drive directly from the BIOS boot menu? Btw The GUI is enabled by default, so it needs to be disabled if you don't like it :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

imacken

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:29:02 AM »
Thanks guys, at least I'm getting replies now!
OK, I've simplified things now.
I have Windows 7 on 1st drive (ignore other partitions), and OSx86 on 2nd drive.
I have the dual Windows 7 and Mac OS set by EasyBCD on the 1st drive.
So, what happens is:
1) on boot, I get the first menu 'Windows Boot Manager' a) Windows 7 or b) Mac OS.
2) selecting b) then takes me to another screen that says (amongst other things) 'Boot Device 0x80... Press a key within 2 secs to change boot drive'.  So I then select 81 for the drive that OSx86 is installed on.
3) then I have 'Darwin /x86 boot  v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.12' menu and I select 'hd(1.1) Mac OS' and Leopard boots up perfectly.
I have tried to install Chameleon RC1 and RC2 from the download install files, but nothing changes.
Can you give me any more help?
Thanks.
BTW, I tried searching a lot to find a similar problem without success.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »
Ok.

We need more info about your second drive where OS X lives.

Please boot your OS X system, then open a terminal (Applications/Utilities folder).

Then type:

Code: [Select]
diskutil list
Please paste/attach here the output of the diskutil command. We can go to the next step then.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

imacken

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »
Thanks for that.
Here it is:

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *465.8 Gi   disk0
   1:               Windows_NTFS Photos                  290.0 Gi   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine            175.8 Gi   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *465.8 Gi   disk1
   1:                  Apple_HFS Mac OS                  285.9 Gi   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Spare                   179.9 Gi   disk1s2
/dev/disk2
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *465.8 Gi   disk2
   1:               Windows_NTFS Windows 7               270.1 Gi   disk2s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS Data                    195.6 Gi   disk2s2

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »
Thanks for the results.

Now i'd like to know more about your HFS partitions.

First extract your partition boot records:

Code: [Select]
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2 of=imacken-d0s2.bin bs=512 count=3
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1s1 of=imacken-d1s1.bin bs=512 count=3
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1s2 of=imacken-d1s2.bin bs=512 count=3

Then zip those 3 files (imacken-dXsY.bin) and please attach here.

imacken

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »
Thanks again.
I'm having a little trouble here.  When I type in the command I get asked for my password. I don't have a password, so I just hit enter and terminal just goes back to the standard prompt.
I don't seem to have sudo permission, which is strange considering I am the only user!
Any advice on that?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:45:49 PM by imacken »

Lord Anubis

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »
You should have an administration account with a password.

you can do two things
1a. Log in as the administrator
1b. Run the provide terminal command again.

2a. Type 'su <adminUserName>' and type the belonging password.
2b. Run the provide terminal command again.

If this still doesn't work do 1a and setup root access. Look at the web how to do that.

Good luck.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/11778.html <-= check this and read the warning!!!!

HTH
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

imacken

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
Thanks a lot, but surely I am the administrator being the only account.
I did the steps in the Apple page you posted. Root user is enabled, but when I put in the password in the sudo command, it just says 'Sorry, try again'.
What is going on?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:07:05 PM by imacken »

imacken

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »
OK, I solved the sudo problem.  I had to put a password on my account, then it worked.
I've attached the bin files requested.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
Thx imacken. For some reason your disk1 and disk2 got exchanged, so i have the beginings of your ntfs partitions.
The disk0s2 is ok.

I need the first 3 sectos of "Mac OS" and "Spare" volumes. before doing the dd please make sure you're reading from the right drive.

imacken

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
Ooops, sorry, didn't realise I had to be in the drive to do the command.
I've attached the files.