overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon RC2: automatic EthernetBuiltIn/GraphicsEnabler options do not work  (Read 47115 times)

Apex

• Observer
The new options EthernetBuiltIn=yes / GraphicsEnabler=yes do NOT work here, i still have to set the deviceproperty entry manually in com.apple.Boot.plist

Hardware: Mainboard GA-EP45-DS3, NVidia 7600GT Graphics on PCIe, RTL 8139 on PCI Slot.

@ chameleon devs: which logs do you need to track this down? I will add them to the bug report. I added the IOreg output as a start
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:19:37 PM by Apex »

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
Post the com.apple.Boot.plist you used.

Apex

• Observer
OK:
Code: [Select]
?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>7</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,4)</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

BladeRunner

I tried removing my device properties string and adding entries like those in the previous post.  The result was that TimeMachine failed and the graphice were confined to 1280x1024 which is in the plist graphics-mode string.  I also tried the enabler string values as a single leter "y".  That didn't work either.

my graphice card is a GeForce 8400 GS.

Had to go back to the device properties string.
Base system: HP Pavilion P6340f Desktop  Intel� Core2Quad�  CPU: Speed: 2.66 GHz   Package: Socket 775 LGA:  L2 Cache 2 x 2048 KB  RAM : 8.0 GB:  DDR3

Disks : 2 eSATA @ 2 TB (hardware raid 1), NAS 4 x 2 TB raid 5 Display : 21" Samsung on EVGA GeForce 9400 GT - PCIe - 1900x1080  Keyboard/mouse :  USB connected  OS Version : 10.6.0 from retail DVD + SW update to 10.6.5 - Kernel:  Vanilla mach_kernel

derailed

• Entrant
I got the exact same problem. I checked everything over and over again . At the boot menu, hiting the pause button while chameleon just starts loading osx allows me to see that my lan and video card is detected, but in osx the time machine fix does not work and my graphics card is not detected.
Modo : Gigabyte g31m-es2c
videocard : nvidia geforce 8400GS 256mb
OS retail : kexts: Disabeler, Decrypt, Blootooth fix, AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, VoodooPS2, VoodooHDA. Pached dsdt, and smbios.plist
I tried installing Chameleon 2 RC2 640 , in efi, fat and standard mode with the same result.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:23:53 AM by derailed »

Apex

• Observer
Is there a way to get some debugoutput from chameleon itself while booting? I found no bootoption to do that. I saw a screentshot on the "EFI-X Opensource Alternative" Blog, but i have no idea how to get that debuginfo.

zef

• Administrator
Not too sophisticated - yet - but you can try to boot with these switches at the boot prompt:

-v Wait=y
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

BladeRunner

I think it would be helpful if a log location key/string could be added to the Boot.plist file.  I understand that it could not work in all environments, but for those where it could, why not.  Something like "boot-log=/var/log/Chameleon" could be used to record some of the early environment as found by the loader.
Base system: HP Pavilion P6340f Desktop  Intel� Core2Quad�  CPU: Speed: 2.66 GHz   Package: Socket 775 LGA:  L2 Cache 2 x 2048 KB  RAM : 8.0 GB:  DDR3

Disks : 2 eSATA @ 2 TB (hardware raid 1), NAS 4 x 2 TB raid 5 Display : 21" Samsung on EVGA GeForce 9400 GT - PCIe - 1900x1080  Keyboard/mouse :  USB connected  OS Version : 10.6.0 from retail DVD + SW update to 10.6.5 - Kernel:  Vanilla mach_kernel

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

SkipG

• Entrant
The new options EthernetBuiltIn=yes / GraphicsEnabler=yes do NOT work here, i still have to set the deviceproperty entry manually in com.apple.Boot.plist

Same song, but different verse. I upgraded from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 using RC2 but using the deviceproperty in com.apple.Boot.plist. Afterwards, I changed over to the GraphicsEnabler=Yes option, along with the smbios.plist enhancements, and it worked like a charm (NVidia 8600GT).

I then tried a clean install from retail, with the GraphicsEnabler=Yes option (same com.apple.Boot.plist) as before, and this time it didn't work. Reverted back to the deviceproperty entry, which did work. Then switched to the new com.apple.Boot.plist with the GraphicsEnabler which now worked. I believe this all suggests that the current code (in RC2) depends on <something> which is setup or remembered from the older injection technique.

--skip

dr.ummer

• Entrant
Hi,

I have the same problem using almost the same hardware as Apex (EP45-DS3, BIOS Versio: F9, GeForce 7800 GT 256MB). EFI String in Boot.plist works, but using the chameleon option would be much nicer.

My Boot.plist:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>UHCIreset</key>
<string>n</string>
<key>GUI</key>
<string>n</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>ForceWake</key>
<string>n</string>
<key>ForceHPET</key>
<string>n</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>n</string>
<key>EHCIacquire</key>
<string>n</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Also the gfx card seems to be recognised, but may be this is because of the patched DSDT (this isn't working either but another story) see the attached pic.

@dev team: It has been a while since I wrote my las C lines, but I'm able to try patches. So if you have something worth trying on my hardware, let me know. BTW: Thanks for the good work!  ;)

regards

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:08:50 PM by dr.ummer »

BuildSmart

Re: Chameleon RC2: automatic EthernetBuiltIn/GraphicsEnabler options do not work
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 05:24:09 AM »
Seems the GraphicsEnabler option is not working for many.

I'm not sure if it's a variable issue or an incorrect malloc size at fault but I can provide the faulty device-properties string and the location if you have a way to decode it to see where it's going wrong.

genzai

• Observer
Re: Chameleon RC2: automatic EthernetBuiltIn/GraphicsEnabler options do not work
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »
Hi Guys,
I can confirm this issue on multiple machines.

At first i did not notice because i was always updating to RC2 from RC1 with existing EFI string graphics. So when moving to RC2 and removing the device properties and replacing it with GraphicsEnaber, everything was working great on those systems. But in the last few days i did a couple of fresh installs and used RC2/GraphicsEnabler from the start and in each case it did not work (system profiler shows as if it were booting without EFI string and no QE/CI).

Then as an experiment on one of the fresh installs i created an EFI string and put it in device properties, booted, all was good now. Then removed the Device porperties and went back to GraphicsEnabler and indeed graphics were still working correctly.

Let me know if there is anything i can do to help chase down whats happening here.
Thanks,
/g

BuildSmart

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »
download the source, in device_inject.h find MAX_PCI_DEV_PATHS, change this value to 4, compile with "make clean; make embedtheme", once it's finished compiling, sym/i386/boot is the fixed boot file so replace your existing with it.

The bad thing is that the boot loader uses a faked EFI32 table and it's not exactly what you want to be using if you intend to boot K64 but it does work for the most part but there are issues due to the implementation so things like IOReg Explorer has problems along with other apps.

I did a boot loader for personal use with a faked EFI64 table that works properly but it doesn't have any of the bells and fluff that Chameleon 2.x RCx has but it does work very well for me.

I'm looking into a method to generate either an faked EFI32 or EFI64 table at boot time but not sure if this is really required or any benefits it might provide.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:30:32 AM by BuildSmart »

BladeRunner

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »
download the source, in device_inject.h find MAX_PCI_DEV_PATHS, change this value to 4, compile with "make clean; make embedtheme", once it's finished compiling, sym/i386/boot is the fixed boot file so replace your existing with it.

The bad thing is that the boot loader uses a faked EFI32 table and it's not exactly what you want to be using if you intend to boot K64 but it does work for the most part but there are issues due to the implementation so things like IOReg Explorer has problems along with other apps.

I did a boot loader for personal use with a faked EFI64 table that works properly but it doesn't have any of the bells and fluff that Chameleon 2.x RCx has but it does work very well for me.

I'm looking into a method to generate either an faked EFI32 or EFI64 table at boot time but not sure if this is really required or any benefits it might provide.

Many thanks for this solution.  I followed your instructions and now the GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn options both work on my system.  The graphics card is a 512Mb geForce 8400 GS.  I had been using device properties strings in the Boot.plist file.

One thing I noticed ( there is always one more thing ),  there appears to be some interaction with the USBbusfix option.  I had placed it in the boot.plist to see if it would help/change anything during boot. It didn't appear to have any affect and I forgot about it.  When I installed the new boot file the system would hang just after printing the PCI address for the graphics card.  After I removed the USBBussfix option the system would complete the boot sequence without problem.

Again, thanks for the GraphicsEnabler fix.