overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon RC2: automatic EthernetBuiltIn/GraphicsEnabler options do not work  (Read 47111 times)

BuildSmart

Re: Chameleon RC2: automatic EthernetBuiltIn/GraphicsEnabler options do not work
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »
I've looked at the USBFix code, good idea, good concept but better implementation required for 64bit mode.

Don't get me wrong, I think zef and the boys/girls have done some great things with this boot loader however the hybrid EFI32 table and DMI/SM corruption forces me to use my own solution.

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
Re: Chameleon RC2: automatic EthernetBuiltIn/GraphicsEnabler options do not work
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »
I've looked at the USBFix code, good idea, good concept but better implementation required for 64bit mode.

And what exactly is the relation between the USBFix and 64bit mode?

Don't get me wrong, I think zef and the boys/girls have done some great things with this boot loader however the hybrid EFI32 table and DMI/SM corruption forces me to use my own solution.

Can you provide more details about this DMI/SM corruption? It would be also nice if you post about your solution.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:01:32 PM by Kabyl »

focher

• Entrant
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 05:56:03 AM »
Hi,

I am running into a problem with the GraphicsEnabler code also. Originally, Chameleon RC3 didn't work for me because my PciRoot is 1 and not 0. netkas fixed this with PC_EFI 10.3 and that is the boot file I am using now. I have 3 NVIDIA GTX 280s, and this is what I experience:

1) Single card - detects the card fine at the correct PciRoot and boots to desktop with graphics, but not accelerated. The desktop is using the software renderer.

2) Dual card - detects the cards fine at the correct PciRoot but does not boot to desktop with graphics. I tried the DVI cable to each of the cards, but did not get anything except for white static noise signal when I plugged back into the primary DVI plug on the first card that displayed during boot.

3) Triple card - detects two cards with VRAM of 4095MB and one with 1024MB correctly. Does not boot to desktop with any graphics.

4) I also tried to generate an EFI string by building a plist but get a efi string NULL error from the bootloader when attempting to use the generated EFI string. I used gfxutil in Leopard to generate the EFI string. This was with GraphicsEnabler=n

Attached are:

1) the plist (gtx280-triple.plist) used to generate the EFI string with gfxutil
2) a screen capture of the bootloader showing the 3 detected cards
3) the efi string (3xgtx280.hex) generated and used in the device-properties instead of GraphicsEnabler

Any ideas?

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »
Try getting a single card working properly first, then apply the same plist on the other card(s), but with the following property on the primary (boot) card:
Code: [Select]
<key>@0,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<data></data>

Could you also post the device-properties generated by the booter when all 3 cards are used?

moofwoogle

• Entrant
Hi, I'm running Chameleon RC3 with vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6.0, and I can't get EthernetBuiltIn to work at all.  When I boot OS X, I get all of the "CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35", and if I check /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/Networkinterfaces.plist, my ethernet card is not listed as built in.  Consequently I can't get Maya to work because it can't detect my ethernet card.  The only way I've been able to get the error 35 messages to go away at all is by using UUID.kext but that doesn't make my card built in so it doesn't fix my major problems.

I've tried booting using both the 32-bit and 64-bit kernel, deleting Networkinterfaces.plist after I change anything, and have tried what BuildSmart suggested earlier in this thread.  So far, nothing has worked.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get the EthernetBuiltIn=y option to work?  If you need me to post any log or configuration files let me know.

edit: I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard, and it looks like other people with similar motherboards have this same problem.  Been scouring the internet for a solution but haven't found one...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:38:43 PM by moofwoogle »

moofwoogle

• Entrant
Fixed it!  Installed a second mac-compatible PCI network card, and this one *is* detected as built in.  Everything's working great now without having to use any kexts.

Lord Anubis

Moofwoogle, so its not fixed! :-) Also not for me...

The questions stays open for the other users.

BTW. what network card did you insert in your system?
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

focher

• Entrant
Could you also post the device-properties generated by the booter when all 3 cards are used?

Of course would be happy to provide. Question I have is how can I get that information? I assume you mean that Chameleon is generating and injecting the EFI string after it has detected the PciRoot mapping for the card(s), but I don't know how to get the EFI string.

Maybe the same issue, but is there a way yet to generate an EFI string from Snow Leopard? My understanding from aquamac is that gfxutil does not generate the right EFI string in Snow Leopard, even if the plist is correct.

focher

• Entrant
I have now gotten 2 out of 3 GTX 280s working using EFI strings after Kabyl's recommendation to add the extra <key> to the plist. However, once I add a third card it doesn't work. Here are the plists and EFI strings to get the 2 card configuration working. It's also confirmed to be accelerated.

For reference, the two card combination is in the top and bottom slot of the ASUS P5N-T Deluxe board.

abend

• Entrant
download the source, in device_inject.h find MAX_PCI_DEV_PATHS, change this value to 4, compile with "make clean; make embedtheme", once it's finished compiling, sym/i386/boot is the fixed boot file so replace your existing with it.

The bad thing is that the boot loader uses a faked EFI32 table and it's not exactly what you want to be using if you intend to boot K64 but it does work for the most part but there are issues due to the implementation so things like IOReg Explorer has problems along with other apps.

I did a boot loader for personal use with a faked EFI64 table that works properly but it doesn't have any of the bells and fluff that Chameleon 2.x RCx has but it does work very well for me.

I'm looking into a method to generate either an faked EFI32 or EFI64 table at boot time but not sure if this is really required or any benefits it might provide.

Thank you, thank you, BuildSmart. This works beautifully, and lets me shed NVenabler from S/L/E.

abend