overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Boot a partition 2 ways, get 2 different results  (Read 2195 times)

charlien

• Entrant
Boot a partition 2 ways, get 2 different results
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »

Using Chameleon 2.0-RC2-R640:

Problem:
I have 2 installations of OSX, 1 on each of 2 hard drives.

I get different results when booting from HD-2  to  HD-1 when compared to booting from HD-1  to  HD-1.  In other words, when booting from HD-2 to HD-1, the mkext on HD-2 influences HD-1 even though HD-1 has its own mkext.

Config:
HD-1 has my old, long-standing OSX installation on the 2nd partition (EFI partition is 1st).  The Extra folder on that 2nd partition contains Extensions.mkext which is setup for the old installation, and a Boot.plist.

HD-2 has a new, "test" installation of OSX on the 2nd partition (after EFI).  The Extra folder on that 2nd partition contains Extensions.mkext which is setup for the "test" installation, and a Boot.plist.

Test Data:
A -- If I select HD-1 in BIOS and choose to boot to my "old" installation on HD-1, everything is normal.

B -- If I select HD-2 in BIOS and choose to boot to the "test" installation on HD-2, everything is normal, except for a problem with the keyboard.  This is OK.  I didn't bother to fix it because this is a test, only a test.  However this helps to highlight the real problem, which is...

C -- If I select HD-2 in BIOS and choose to boot to the "old" installation on HD-1, I would expect the same result as A above.  But a few different/additional kexts are loaded compared to A, and the keyboard problem from B shows up.

I read a suggestion to put the boot-uuid's into their respective Boot.plists.  I placed the UUID for the "old" partition on HD-1 into the Extra/Boot.plist on HD-1 and the UUID for the "test" partition on HD-2 into the Extra/Boot.plist on HD-2.  This had the same result.

Solutions?:
This is of particular concern when the 2 installations are quite different, like a Leo installation on one HD and a Snow Leo on the other HD.  OR, with two different installations on the same HD.

I'm looking for some suggestions for solving this problem.

Also:
A second concern is this:  When installing Chameleon 2 to the EFI partition, it installs the "boot" file to the EFI partition and not to the root of the partition containing the OSX installation.  In this situation, booting fails because the boot file is not found.  Moving or copying the boot file to the root of the OSX partition solves the problem.

So, is it possible to boot when having the boot file only on the EFI partition?  If so, what must be done?  If not, why doesn't the installer place the boot file into the root of the OSX partition?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:56:43 PM by charlien »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: Boot a partition 2 ways, get 2 different results
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:33:21 AM »
Assuming that hardware-wise your HDs, controllers + bios is OK then it sounds like a messed boot + kext snafu...

You might find this discussion helpful: Kext/com.apple.Boot.plist load order?

So, is it possible to boot when having the boot file only on the EFI partition?
Sure, that's the whole idea, take a look at the thread above

Getting a signature with your hack's specs would also help

Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives