overdue-scratch

Author Topic: continuous boot1: error on hybrid GPT/MBR disk in AHCI mode  (Read 5725 times)

Jingu

• Entrant
continuous boot1: error on hybrid GPT/MBR disk in AHCI mode
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »
Acer Laptop
ICH7M RAID controller device id 27c68086
Hardrives are not set up as RAID, so 2 separate hardrives
First hard drive formated as hybrid GPT/MBR with Leopard first partition, windows 7 second partition.

I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC1 to EFI partition with the EFI-boot-i386 script.

When I boot, all i keep getting is:

boot0: GPT
boot0: testing
boot0: done
boot1: error

and it stalls there. I've been trying for over a week to solve this. I'm starting to realize that Chameleon must not be yet compatible with hybrid GPT/MBR in AHCI/RAID mode.

Is there a fix? Or do I have to wait for the release of a Chameleon version compatible with hybrid drives in AHCI mode? I've been trying everything for over a week without success.

For now, I am using a GPT formated USB stick with Chameleon 2 RC1 to boot my systems.

I appreciate if someone could post a solution.

***EDIT***:

**POSSIBLE SOLUTION**:   I just discovered that it may have something to do with Chameleon being unable to read the HFS+ or  HFS formatted EFI boot partition. When I format the EFI boot partition in FAT 32, Chameleon loads perfectly. It boots slower and inefficiently, but all the plist and kexts in the EFI partition all boot fine. I mount the EFI boot partition with mount_msdos so I can add the kexts.

It may be a case-sensitive EFI boot partition issue.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:43:25 PM by Jingu »

eyvind

Re: continuous boot1: error on hybrid GPT/MBR disk in AHCI mode
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 05:26:45 AM »
Interesting. Here i have a  hybrid MBR/GPT  partition running AHCI with no problems. Chameleon is installed to the HFS+ formatted partition. Make sure you follow the instructions in Munky's EFI Boot guide (google it) when you create the EFI partition. If you need more help, just post here :)
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack

Jingu

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:31:07 AM »
Thanks

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »
Working fine for me too, hfs formatted EFI partition on GUID partitioned drive.

There's a site out there called ihackintosh.com which has an excellent manual installation guide for Chameleon posted. Try preparing the EFI partition and installing Chameleon manually, following that guide.

I can't post the link here, it's against the rules.
Maybe I'll post the guide here later.

10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131