overdue-scratch

Author Topic: [How-to] manually install Chameleon 2.2 to an EFI/GPT drive  (Read 153961 times)

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
[How-to] manually install Chameleon 2.2 to an EFI/GPT drive
« on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:15 AM »
If you're using an older version of Chameleon, or if you've been booting your hackintosh with a 3rd party boot CD until now, this guide is for you.

When upgrading from any version or derivative build of Chameleon, it is highly recommended that you install all three files, rather than just copying "boot".

If you would rather use your system partition than the EFI partition for Chameleon, you can simply change where ever it says disk0s1 accordingly and skip the parts that are specific to working with the EFI partition.

First you need to format/initialize the EFI system partition - note the command is different on Snow Leopard and higher. If you use the 10.5.x command it will still work, but the EFI partition will become an ordinary HFS partition and will always be mounted, and that's messy.

Open Terminal and type sudo –s (and your password)

Type diskutil list to see an overview of your disks and partitions.

Normally, disk0s1 will be your EFI partition. If it is on another disk, modify the following commands accordingly so you don’t accidentally the wrong partition.

If you don’t see an EFI partition, that means your drive is MBR formatted. If you are not sure what that means, you should stop following this guide immediately. For example, if you have OS X and Windows installed to the same hard drive you will no longer be able to boot Windows if you follow these instructions. I can't help you with that.

You can also opt to install Chameleon on your system partition for easy access. If you don't want to install Chameleon on your EFI partition skip the following two commands and just change disk/rdisk0s1 to disk/rdisk0s2 (assuming you're installing to disk0 of course!) and simply replace Volumes/EFI with Volumes/nameofyoursystempartition

If you're on 10.5.x:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1

If you're on 10.6 or higher:

newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

Your EFI partition now has a filesystem and you can go ahead and install Chameleon on it.

Download the Chameleon archive attached below, extract it to your desktop, and (still in Terminal) navigate to the folder by typing cd ~/desktop/i386.   

Create a mountpoint and mount the EFI partition:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Install boot0md to the MBR:
./fdisk440 -f boot0md -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Install boot1h to the bootsector of the EFI partition:
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
Then, copy the file ‘boot’ to it:
cp boot /Volumes/EFI

Install bdmesg - this can be run from Terminal (just type bdmesg) at any time and will let you see Chameleon verbose output from last boot. Very useful for troubleshooting:

cp bdmesg /usr/bin

In order to prevent the File System Events Daemon (fseventsd) from logging on the EFI partition, which can cause it to become unmountable, type:

touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

The following step isn’t necessary on all systems but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Make sure the EFI partition is flagged as active.
Verify that you are still in the i386 directory - then enter the fdisk command and then each line as shown. As before, if you're not working with disk0 modify as needed:

1) ./fdisk440 -e /dev/rdisk0
(Ignore any “fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory” error)

2) f 1

3) w

4) q

Now you can copy the extra, themes and extensions folders, your DSDT.aml, your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, your smbios.plist and of course your extensions to it.

If you’ve followed the guide step by step until here the EFI partition is already mounted and (skip this part if you're on 10.6 or higher) you can type…

killall Finder (note, capitalized F - again, this step is not necessary on 10.6 and up, the EFI partition now mounts by itself when you create the mount-point)

…the Finder reloads and the EFI partition gets a drive icon on your desktop.

You can now start experimenting and getting all your patches and modified kernel extensions running from the EFI partition.

When you are done moving stuff to it you should always un-mount it (yes, the command is umount, not unmount):

umount /Volumes/EFI (If this fails, do umount -f /Volumes/EFI)

And delete the mountpoint:

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

I’ve already told you how to mount it again, in the beginning of the guide.

If you ever get “mount_hfs: Invalid argument” when trying to mount the EFI partition, do this to fix it (again assuming the EFI partition is on Disk0):

fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1

Once you have everything working, you can create a Chameleon boot CD using the same files, so that you can boot the retail DVD and install retail from zero.
Here's my boot CD how-to: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131
When running the OS X installer from the DVD simply chose to replace your existing installation. The EFI partition will remain untouched and, if you have added the files you need for OS X to boot on your hardware, you should be able to boot from it when the installer is done.

Good luck.

If I missed something, if some part is unclear or just plain wrong, please let me know.

/Edit - yep. Thanks for the correction Rock :)

Newbie Alert: Do not use the scripts provided here by other members if you do not understand them. Follow the manual steps instead. Lazy enough for this? Forget EFI and install on your OS X partition.

Notes
/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist is now org.chameleon.Boot.plist

All instances of 'manufacter' in smbios.plist must be renamed to 'manufacturer'.

Be sure to read boothelp.txt for additional information. The new GraphicsEnabler options might be of interest, we now have fully functional NVRAM via the module system, and there's "showinfo" which you might want to set to "no" if you prefer the GUI to look like it did in RC5.

If you wish to use any of the modules, please read the instructions first - here:
http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/tree/HEAD/trunk/i386/modules
Nvidia video card owners might want to take a closer look at the attached screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:05:01 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

leader86

• Entrant
Re: [How-to] manually install Chameleon 2.0 to an EFI/GPT drive
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:45:21 PM »
Nice guide!  :)

greenman

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:18:57 PM »
I'd like a guide on how to install Chameleon on a GPT drive WITHOUT using the EFI partition, I'd rather have my extra folder accessible for tweaking...

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »
This is a very useful guide. Good idea for putting it here :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:57:48 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »
Thanks guys.

I'd like a guide on how to install Chameleon on a GPT drive WITHOUT using the EFI partition, I'd rather have my extra folder accessible for tweaking...

the EFI is accessible, but you have to mount and unmount it manually.

There's no need to write a whole guide for a non-EFI partition installation.

If you don't want to use the EFI partition for Chameleon then simply install boot1h and copy boot to whatever other partition you want to use, ie instead of rdisk0s1 use rdisk0s2 or whatever.

boot0md still goes to rdisk0.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:31:07 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

greenman

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »
sure, I can mount it OK, but i get irritated going to terminal all the time to do so. not so much laziness as why do unnecessary work?

I feel no need to hide the partition at all. but all the guides imply that it shouldn't be left mounted.

I'll make or find a script to mount and unmount if I need to.

but I don't understand why its not working using the regular Cham install that puts extra and boot on the root of the osx partition.

18seven

• Observer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »
A script for managing EFI kext on my wind. I have the same for boot.plist, smbios, dsdt, but this one is the most complex.

This script creates or rm's symlinks for dependencies, mounts efi, erases *.kext, loads updated *.kext and umounts.

Edit as needed, create a kext management folder, add script (make it executable), add kext, cd into it and execute script. Of course, it is wise to diskutil list first.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

if [[ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]];
then
echo "This script must be run as root. Type "sudo -s" into the terminal, enter your password when asked, and run the script again" 1>&2
exit 1
fi

ls -1 27ae*.kext > /dev/null 2>&1
if [[ "$?" = "0" ]];
then
ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IOGraphicsFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
  ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IONDRVSupport.kext 2>/dev/null
  ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IOACPIFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
else
rm -R IOGraphicsFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
rm -R IONDRVSupport.kext 2>/dev/null
rm -R IOACPIFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
echo "27ae*.kext not present, dependencies skipped or removed"
fi

if [[ -d RealtekR1000.kext ]];
then
  ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
  ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
else
rm -R IONetworkingFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
rm -R IOPCIFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
echo "RealtekR1000.kext not present, dependencies skipped or removed"
fi

if [[ -d VoodooBattery.kext ]];
then
  ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IOACPIFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
else
rm -R IOACPIFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
echo "VoodooBattery.kext not present, dependencies skipped or removed"
fi

if [[ -d VoodooHDA.kext ]];
then
  ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
  ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
  ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/OSvKernDSPLib.kext 2>/dev/null
else
rm -R IOAudioFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
# rm -R IOPCIFamily.kext 2>/dev/null
rm -R OSvKernDSPLib.kext 2>/dev/null
echo "VoodooHDA.kext kext not present, dependencies skipped or removed"
fi

echo "symlinks updated"

echo "Mounting EFI"
mkdir /Volumes/EFI

if [ ! -e "/Volumes/EFI" ]; then
     echo " Error ==> /Volumes/EFI does not exist"
     echo " Error ==> Your EFI partition must be mounted for this script to work, use dikutil list and correct the updateEFI script"
fi

echo "Removing old kext"
rm -R /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/*.kext

echo "Loading new kext"
cp -R *.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

echo "Updating"
mv /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext.previous
chmod -R 644 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions
kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions > KEXTupdate.log 2>&1
chmod 644 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext
chown root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext

echo "Finished update
EFI unmounted
You may now reboot"
umount -f /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:15:17 PM by 18seven »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
Great stuff.. I can use some of this for my own requirements :)

Thanks
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

nameless2k

• Observer
  • Individualism is a mass psychosis
    • Incomplete-News.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »
some months ago I wrote a set of scripts to auto mount and auto dismount the efi partition.
http://rapidshare.com/files/177691440/EPOS_I._0.97.zip

it requires:
- no other GPT formated drive mounted to your system
- efi partition has already been hfs formated.

it's basically a byproduct of my epos script, which - back in the days - automized the installation steps, that munky talked about (search terms: epos efi post install script)... but it is outdated with the upcoming up chameleon. i am currently trying to find some time to rewrite with chameleon...
<b>1st. rig: Testing environment:</b> EP35-DS3 | nVidia GeForce 7600 GT | HP w2207 | HP w2207h (prevents sleep from working) | SAMSUNG SP2504C | TimeMachine | Chameleon RC1 (I am a bit conservative ;-) | 10.5.8
<b>2nd. rig: Production:</b>MacBook Pro 15" (2007)

nameless2k

• Observer
  • Individualism is a mass psychosis
    • Incomplete-News.com
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
The following is purely my opinion, my interpretation, and my experiences.

Reformating the EFI partition to HFS seem to be the cause to weird errors with firmware updates. In contrast to Munky's description the EFI partition seems to be used by Apple!

System Updates sometimes seem to include EFI updates. These EFI updates seem to be installed via the EFI partition. But the EFI partition needs to be Fat32 formated. Otherwise the update will not be written on that EFI partition. 

At the moment I suspect some of the KP's during the Snow Leopard installation might come from EFI partition access errors during installation.

In the meantime I would not vote for reformating the EFI partition anymore. I would just stay with the /Extras folder.
<b>1st. rig: Testing environment:</b> EP35-DS3 | nVidia GeForce 7600 GT | HP w2207 | HP w2207h (prevents sleep from working) | SAMSUNG SP2504C | TimeMachine | Chameleon RC1 (I am a bit conservative ;-) | 10.5.8
<b>2nd. rig: Production:</b>MacBook Pro 15" (2007)

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 04:01:40 AM »
Just hide and never download firmware updates and that problem is solved. They are useless on a PC running OS X anyway.

Here's how to get them to go away:

Make sure your smbiosdate/smbiosversion in /Extra/smbios.plist matches the latest firmware release for the mac model you are spoofing. You can find the full version numbers with some creative googleing. Example screenshot below.

When Boot ROM date + version and FakeSMC revision keys are set to the latest versions available, you will not see SMC firmware updates in Software Update because you'll appear to be running the latest firmware.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:59:05 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...

1dog

• Entrant
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 11:13:19 AM »
I am setting up my 1st Hack on a X58 Classified.  I like the idea of the EFI partition because you can clone your installation and keep that copy as a backup.  If the user copy gets f@*@& up you just pull out the copy and clone back.  All the kexts and what not remain untouched.

I am following "http://osx86.net/f57/guide-evga-x58-snow-leopard-10-6-2-t3854/"

My question is, will I run into any problems with the 10.6.3 combo update?  Are there firmware updates included in it?

Thanks

@Gingo --> great guide.  Whats the difference between (when I copy and paste it in):

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

and

mkdir /Volumes/EFI mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

and whats the difference in the following code, whether or not the quotation marks are used:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1

in the
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,767.msg3337.html#msg3337
guide the same code is without quotation marks.

Finally, after rebooting and opening Terminal and typing the following command (that I found in the other topic):
diskutil list

I still see my intended drive for SL with the * denoting 1st boot drive beside the SL install partition and not the EFI partition.

(All setup and coding is being done from a Kalyway 10.5.2 installation running in safe mode.)

EVGA X58 Classified (E760), Bios updated April, 2010;  8800 GTX; 12 GB OCZ Gold;  Sonnet FW800;  3ware 9650SE-4LPML w. 4 WD 1TB SG's;  1 OCZ Agility 120 GB boot OSx;  i7 920 @ 3.7ghz cooled=Magellan;  Lian Li PC-7323 FTS Case circa 2002 (modded).

1dog

• Entrant
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
I haven't been able to cover everything but after a week of study and trial and error I am getting close.
EVGA X58 Classified (E760), Bios updated April, 2010;  8800 GTX; 12 GB OCZ Gold;  Sonnet FW800;  3ware 9650SE-4LPML w. 4 WD 1TB SG's;  1 OCZ Agility 120 GB boot OSx;  i7 920 @ 3.7ghz cooled=Magellan;  Lian Li PC-7323 FTS Case circa 2002 (modded).

jbreher

• Observer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 07:11:34 AM »
I've been using unix for decades. As such, all the command line stuff makes perfect sense to me. However, you lost me at:

Now you can copy the extra, themes and extensions folders, your DSDT.aml, your com.apple.Boot.plist, your smbios.plist and of course your extensions to it.

Maybe I should back up a bit...

About a year ago, I decided that my next laptop might just be a Mac. Being a Win & Linux guy for decades, I was unsure whether I'd be happy using a Mac as my main machine. In order to check it out, I built a hack (specs below). The install and configuration was quite painless. As such, I perhaps did not learn as much as I could have.

Long story short, I liked it. I bought a new 17" MBP. I'm happy, Apple's happy, right?

Not quite. As I had significant work by now on the iPC hack, I wanted to migrate that stuff to the new machine. I removed the HDD from the iPC, put it on a SATA/USB converter, connected it to the MBP, and ran Migration Assistant to transfer stuff from the iPC's HDD to the new MBP. (This was an adventure in itself, but that will be another story for another time.) The important thing is that, after returning the iPC HDD to the hack machine, the hack machine no longer boots.

Symptoms:
After the BIOS enumerates the PCI Devices Listing, I see the following:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ........

boot0: GPT
     boot0: HFS+
     boot0: booting
     boot0: done

and the system is stalled at this point. Recall that this system booted fine before I ran Migration Assistant (with this as the _source_ drive).

However, if I put my iPC install DVD in, and boot off that, the bootloader on that DVD boots the OS X image on the HDD just fine.

The messages lead me to believe that one of the early stage bootloader pieces is corrupted. I am thinking I need to reinstall the bootloader. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I figure that, while I don't know what bootloader my initial iPC install installed, Chameleon oughta play nice with the OS-level stuff I already have. A bootloader can be installed over some other bootloader, right?

So I have been following this guide. I am now at the part that confuses me - the Hackentosh patching stuff that I quoted above.

My first instinct is to copy the /Extra folder, and all its contents to the EFI partition. Recall that this system used to boot before Migration Assistant trashed it. Does this course of action seem to make sense?

for reference:

bash-3.2# ls -lR /Extra
total 16
drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel   170 Jun 28  2009 Extensions
-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  3634 Jun 28  2009 Extensions.mkext
drwxr-xr-x  6 root  admin   204 Jun 28  2009 Themes
-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin   381 Jun 28  2009 com.apple.Boot.plist

/Extra/Extensions:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Apr  1  2009 AHCIPortInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Apr  1  2009 ATAPortInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Apr  1  2009 IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

/Extra/Extensions/AHCIPortInjector.kext:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Apr  1  2009 Contents

/Extra/Extensions/AHCIPortInjector.kext/Contents:
total 16
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4569 Apr  1  2009 Info.plist

/Extra/Extensions/ATAPortInjector.kext:
total 0

/Extra/Extensions/ATAPortInjector.kext/Contents:
total 24
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  8898 Apr  1  2009 Info.plist

/Extra/Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext:
total 0

/Extra/Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext/Contents:
total 8
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1271 Apr  1  2009 Info.plist

I have eliminated the Themes subtree form the above. Is the Themes subtree important? I don't mean that I am not copying it over to the EFI partition - just that I have cut short he display of entries from the ls command above. What exactly is the Themes folder (or rather its subfolders) for?

--------------------
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Celeron Dual Core E1400 2.0 GHz / 800 MHz FSB
ASUS EN8400GS Silernt/HTP/512M PCIe x16
4GiB (2x2) G.Skill DDR2-10666, PC2-8500, 2048MB x 2, CL-5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V DRAM
750 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA HDD ST3750330AS
hp dvd1170i SATA DL DVD

iPC 10.5.6
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P / Intel Celeron Dual Core E1400 2.0 GHz / 800 MHz FSB / ASUS EN8400GS Silent/HTP/512M PCIe x16
4GiB (2x2) G.Skill DDR2-10666, PC2-8500, 2048MB x 2, CL-5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V DRAM / 750 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA HDD ST3750330AS / hp dvd1170i SATA DL DVD
EFI (empty) / iPC 10.5.6 / Win 7 pro x64
... oh yeah, and an i7 17" MBP

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 05:24:22 AM »
Heh, the themes folder is for themes  ;)
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/board,7.0.html
You don't have to use one if you don't want to.

But but but...you shouldn't need to install anything (Extra folder etc etc) besides the bootloader itself - your system was already booting just fine before the Migration Assistant mishap, with nothing on the "EFI" partition. All your modifications and patches are spread around in folders on your system partition already, that's how distros work and that's why they're a lot harder to update than retail installations.

In fact I don't think you should be following my guide since as far as I can remember, the iPC distro doesn't even install the bootloader to your EFI partition in the first place, even if your harddrive is GPT formatted.

If you just want to reinstall the bootloader, in your case I'm pretty sure it would be enough to just pop in your iPC DVD, start the installer, and under customize deselect everything but the Chameleon bootloader. This will install just the bootloader and nothing else, and you should be back to where you were.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:29:51 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...