Author Topic: Idea for Booting XP on Non-First Drive  (Read 2100 times)

hernandito

• Entrant
Idea for Booting XP on Non-First Drive
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:14:27 PM »
Hi,

I am mostly a newbie, but I have semi come up with a method for booting XP from a non first hard drive. I basically use a bootable USB pen drive with various partitions, the disk is partitioned as follow:

(hd0,0) Fat32 Partition- Basically used for file swapping and so that Win and Mac and Linux see it without attempting to format drive

(hd0,1) HFS+ Partition- This is where I installed Chameleon RC1 (RC2).

(hd0,2) ext3 Partition- To this partition, I loaded GRUB 0.97 to the partition's boot record, which launches GRUB4DOS with a menu.lst with the following:

Code: [Select]
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr
map () (hd0)
map (hd0) ()
map --rehook
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr
chainloader /ntldr

I have other ext3 partitions that boot persistent versions of Linux, and a few other utilities.

While this works quite nicely, in Chameleon I am stuck seeing a Linux icon for the Boot XP option. I have tried to format this partition as FAT16 and Fat32, but Chameleon will not boot to it. I get a "Can't find mach_kernel" for message this. But it will boot to the ext2 or ext3 partition very nicely.

Since I have other Linux options, I would like to visually distinguish these with separate icons than what boots XP.

Does anyone have an idea how I could get Chameleon to boot to a FAT 16/32 (non first) partition on a USB drive? My goal is to keep the hard drive where Mac is installed as pure vanilla.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

H.