Author Topic: Is there a solution for boot1: error with RC2 and RAID mode?  (Read 15821 times)

esmasin

• Entrant
Is there a solution for boot1: error with RC2 and RAID mode?
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:54:09 PM »

Hi everybody, I have a Dell Studio XPS i7 with OS X 10.5.7 installed in one hd and vista on other hd.

I had RAID mode enabled in bios when installed Vista and if I try to boot Chameleon RC2 in this mode I get boot1: error.

If I change bios to ATA, Chameleon boot smoothly to OS X 10.5.7 but I don't want to enter the bios every time I switch from one OS to other, neither I want to reinstall vista.

In Chameleon docs it says that RAID is supported, maybe I have done something wrong? Is there a solution for this? OS X is installed in a GPT partitioned HD.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have searched a lot but I can't find any help, this forum seems the right place to ask

zef

• Administrator
Re: Is there a solution for boot1: error with RC2 and RAID mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
BIOS RAID is not supported, but Apple software RAID is supported :)
Btw you can still use your single drives while RAID mode is enabled in BIOS.

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

phantom8

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:12:11 AM »
BIOS RAID is not supported, but Apple software RAID is supported :)
Btw you can still use your single drives while RAID mode is enabled in BIOS.

I think you misunderstood the OP.  I'm having the exact same problem.  We don't need RAID file system support as we're not installing OSX using RAID file system.  The problem is that we had enabled RAID option in BIOS for the SATA controller.  Chameleon gave "boot1: error" when the bios SATA settings is at RAID.  If I changed the settings to AHCI or ATA, it boots up OSX fine.  It's a pain to change the BIOS setting every time we boot to Windows or OSX.  Is there anyway to make Chameleon to boot OSX even Bios SATA seting is at RAID?

macFan

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »
Hello there,
I have the same issue on my system. My configuration is as follows:
- SATA controller mode in BIOS is RAID
- 3 HDD connected to this controller, 2 HDD in raid array (have Vista on them), 3rd HDD is just normal non-raid disk.

I have installed Mac OS X (retail + combo update to 10.5.8) on the 3rd (non raid) disk in VMWare and after installation of combo update I've installed Chameleon 2.0-RC2. Unfortunately while trying to boot Mac OS boot loader hangs with following output:
Code: [Select]
boot0: GPT
boot0: testing
boot0: testing
boot0: done
boot1: error

Is there any way to solve this problem? According to zef it is possible to boot non-raid disk even with BIOS SATA controller set to RAID, but how?

tweak

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »
I would also LOVE to know if there's a solution for this.  Chameleon 1.0.11 works fine in RAID, but neither of the Chameleon v2 releases have played nice thus far.  zef, if you've got any recommendations it would be great to hear them! :D

I should also add that I'm not trying to boot off the array itself.  Just like the other users above are trying to do.  I'm doing this on Intel ICH10R for what it's worth.  It also didn't work with my P5K-E on ICH9R, but that was RC1.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:45:25 PM by tweak »

tweak

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:09 AM »
Just installed RC3.  Same error.

:(

However if you boot from a USB thumb drive, CF, SD, microSD, etc.,  t works just fine.  That's what I recommend for us RAID people.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:27:27 PM by tweak »

chabel

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 09:50:08 AM »
Hello!
Thanks for your help and work

i'm running now snow leopard on a separate hard disk and i've got a win7 partition on a raid array.

So i need to activate raid to dual boot win7 and snow without changing bios parameters each time.

The Tweak's option (see below) would fit but when i create a boot usb key and boot it, the boot process hangs on "still waiting for root device".

However if you boot from a USB thumb drive, CF, SD, microSD, etc.,  t works just fine.  That's what I recommend for us RAID people.

Please tell me how you manage to boot from USB to load the snow partition

Thanks for your help, cheers

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »
The Tweak's option (see below) would fit but when i create a boot usb key and boot it, the boot process hangs on "still waiting for root device".

What storage controller do you have? In case of using ICH9R-10R in RAID mode, you need an AHCIPortInjector.kext at least. You can find it in Chameleon's bin release under Optional Extras/Extensions/Common folder.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

chabel

• Entrant
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »
First, thanks a lot for your quick reply and your help!!!

For the storage controller, that's my case(ICH10-r on an asus rampage II gene).

The only extension of this kind that I added to boot Snow is ioahciblockstorageinjector.kext.

Do I need to add this kext (AHCIPortInjector.kext) to my USB Boot Key or my Snow Partition.

Because when I boot on my Snow Partition in RAID activated in BIOS I get: "boot 0: GPT ... boot 1: error"

No "still waiting for root device" in this case.

However, i'll try your advice and get you informed

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:32:48 PM by chabel »

chabel

• Entrant
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
Hi!

Nothing to do, I installed AHCIPortInjector.kext on my Snow Partition and the result is the result is the same:

after booting for an USB Stick with chameleon, i choose my Snow partition and then after a while,
still waiting for root device...

I tried -f, rd=disk2s2... Nothing to do

Thanks for your help and advices.

chabel

• Entrant
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »
Hi everybody,

could someone please help me!

I tried many ways but nothing to do! I can't still boot my Snow partition in BIOS Raid Sata Mode enabled, even though by USB Boot Stick...

I'm so sorry disturbing you bur I'm so sorry too to have a fully working Snow Leopard and can't dual boot with Windows.

Thanks a lot anyway!!!

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 12:16:09 PM »
Where do you put your extra kexts?

chabel

• Entrant
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
Hi!
Thanks for your help

First I put the kexts in S/L/E on the Snow partition

Then I put the kexts in the Extra/Extensions on the Snow partition

Both with repairing authorizations and rebuilding extensions.mkext

I tried too to do the same on USB Key

But it still doesn't work: "still waiting for root device"

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »
I had RAID mode enabled in bios when installed Vista and if I try to boot Chameleon RC2 in this mode I get boot1: error.

I assume that would be Intel Matrix RAID, OS X doesn't support that, it does however support Software RAID.

If you're using some other (LSI/Adaptec/HighPoint..etc) RAID cards, then maybe OS X has no driver for it.

chabel

• Entrant
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 09:28:16 PM »
Just installed RC3.  Same error.

:(

Yes, you're right Kabyl.

However, booting on an USB stick can override the problem. Just I don't know how Tweak did exactly, which kexts he used...