Chameleon > General Discussion

Chameleon FAQ (v1.1)

(1/5) > >>

rocksteady:
• 3 vfaqs actually unrelated to our forum:

1. I installed Chameleon on my real Mac and now all hell broke loose! HELP! BIG PROBLEM PLZ!

2. I want to put Mac OS X on my PC! How do I get started?

3. Chameleon won't boot my 16 OSs! HELP! Chameleon Bug? This sucks, I want to go back to xyz bootloader!

• Chameleon Basics & a myth(buster):

1. What is Chameleon?

2. How do I obtain Chameleon? Where can I download Chameleon from?

3a. Will Chameleon turn my PC / generic hardware / cheap box into a Mac?

3b. Why?

3c. But I see all those listings/places on the web that sell ready-made hackintoshes? Some claim that their machines run Chameleon!

• Installing, Upgrading, Downgrading & Uninstalling Chameleon:

4. How do I install Chameleon?

5. How do I install Chameleon manually? How do I upgrade/downgrade Chameleon?

6. Can you make a step-by-step guide for installing Chameleon manually? I'm new to this and I'd like a pointer...

7. Where should I install Chameleon? EFI or MacOS X partition? What's the deal with EFI? Will it turn my PC into a real Mac?

8. I want to get rid of Chameleon. Where's the Uninstall button?

• Customizing & Fine-tuning Chameleon:

9. Whoa! I installed Chameleon, I can boot to OS X just fine, how do I go about fine-tuning my system?

10. How do I fine-tune my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist? How can I make a boot option to have a permanent effect? What's the syntax for com.apple.Boot.plist options?

11. How do I fine-tune my kexts? What's the best kexts for my system? What's the deal with kexts vs. mkext?

12. What about Themes? The Default one is OK can I have more? How do I change Themes? I want to create my own, how do I get started?

• Miscellanea:

13. Great work! What can I do to help the development of Chameleon? I'd like to give something back.

14. What about Chameleon's latest feature about BlahBlah?

15. Unofficial member-contributed Tools, Utilities, Documentation and Helpful Posts.

16. HELP! I have a question about xYz and no one answers! HUGE PROBLEM! Where are you guys?

Version 1.0:
-Basic FAQ (according to the most asked questions in our forum) 

Thanks to Blackosx, BladeRunner, Gringo Vermelho, tempolo + anyone else (I might be forgetting now) who took time to document / provide help to others in the form of step-by-step tips/guides.

Version 1.1:
- minor editing (typos, etc),
- section of Customizing & Fine-tuning Chameleon now includes a Themes FAQ(#11),
- FAQ#10 polished to demarcate Kernel Flags from Booter Options 
- the section of Miscellanea now includes the contributions of our funky members. You guys rock, thank you :)
- FAQ#6 now includes a note about guides/"guides".

More info will be integrated when we get out of v2 beta.

Memo to self: I have to come up with a better idea regarding the FAQ's layout because its a royal pita to edit.

rocksteady:
1.  I installed Chameleon on my real Mac and now all hell broke loose! HELP! BIG PROBLEM PLZ!

We're really flattered :o but Chameleon is made to work on hacks (hackintosh, or whatever you call a non Apple-made computer). Chameleon emulates some functionalities of a real Mac.

It's your hardware, do what you want with it, just don't come here crying and bugging the developers about it.

We already have two threads about this bad idea and that's all. Further topics about it will just get locked/deleted.

Bad Idea: Chameleon was installed on my real Mac and now it won't boot
Why Installer breaks boot for Macs and how to fix it

rocksteady:
2. I want to put Mac OS X on my PC! How do I get started?

If you're seeking a whole-picture guide to OSx86, you're better off looking elsewhere.  It's really easy these days too, there must be a zillion places offering a gazillion of guides(*) to do this. 

This forum is for Voodoolabs software only.

rocksteady:
3. Chameleon won't boot my 16 OSs! HELP! Chameleon Bug? This sucks, I want to go back to xyz bootloader!

If multi-booting a ton of different OSs in a single computer is your game, then you're supposed to understand the basics of multi-booting. It's a good idea to read the README & BootHelp.txt files too. If you know what you're doing and can reproduce a bug, please file a bug report.

Use whatever bootloader/software you like and be happy. No one is forcing you to use Chameleon. Calling names won't get you very far.

Some tips/vfaqs on multi-booting:

Another "Linux Not Showing Up"
Booting Linux from Chameleon
Modify Vista BCD after Chameleon install
Windows 7 RC1 and Macintosh on the same drive
Blinking cursor after install
[SOLVED] possible to boot WinXP from a GUID partitioned drive w/ Chameleon 2.0?

rocksteady:
1. What is Chameleon?

Chameleon is an open-source EFI bootloader project for BIOS-based x86 systems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version