Author Topic: Chameleon FAQ (v1.1)  (Read 126266 times)

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: Chameleon FAQ (v1.1)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 12:39:17 AM »
10. How do I fine-tune my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist? How can I make a boot option to have a permanent effect? What's the syntax for com.apple.Boot.plist options?

You fine-tune your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist by going minimal (i.e. keeping only the options that your setup needs).

Usually, on a fresh installation it's wise to start with a very basic /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file and try/test different boot options @ the Chameleon screen. If/when you're happy with them you can integrate them into your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist in order to have a permanent effect.

There are 2 types of options: Kernel Flags and Booter Options, both described in the BootHelp.txt file.

Kernel Flags are space-separated and are permanently integrated to the com.apple.Boot.plist file like so:

Code: [Select]
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

for 2 (or more) Kernel Flags:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x -v</string>

For Booter Options, there's a key and a string for every option. For example, to have the effect of USBBusFix=Yes option and also load a theme called Graphite_Simple integrated to the file you simply add:

<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Graphite_Simple</string>

to your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. Likewise for any other option that you want to kick in permanently.

Tip: all your <key>BlahBlah</key> <string>BlahBlah</string> pairs should be inside <dict> </dict>. Not before Nor after them.

Tip: if you end up with a messed up /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file, you can start afresh with an untouched one as found here.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:25:01 PM by rocksteady »
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 12:44:38 AM »
11. How do I fine-tune my kexts? What's the best kexts for my system? What's the deal with kexts vs. mkext?

You fine-tune your kexts by examining/studying/knowing your hardware inside-out. Then you (re)search the net for kexts as close as possible to your own hardware specs.

There's no single universal "best" kext (or set of kexts) that will do magic on every piece of hardware. You should do your own research.

An mkext is a cache file of kexts. mkext provides faster booting and is the Apple-approved method for MacOS 10.6.

Chameleon-wise you can have a number of kexts in /Extra/Extensions or a single mkext in /Extra .
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:10:41 PM by rocksteady »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »
12. What about Themes? The Default one is OK can I have more? How do I change Themes? I want to create my own, how do I get started?

Oh yes, themes! Thanks to our ThemeMaestro Blackosx and the rest of the gang who keep the Theme Park busy you're not stuck with the default one.

You can have as many themes as you like inside your /Extra/Themes folder, just make sure that they were made to be used with Chameleon. You change themes by changing the corresponding <string>BlahBlaThemeName</string> in your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist as described here.

You're more than welcome to create your own and share it in the Theme Park. Say hello and thanks to Blackosx who created the Creating Themes and Resizing Themes guides and also take a minute to read our rules about it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:17:15 AM by rocksteady »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 12:53:04 AM »
13. Great work! What can I do to help the development of Chameleon? I'd like to give something back.

We welcome altruists and nice guys/girls! Depending on your skills/mood you may:

• Create a theme
• Consider donating
• File proper bug reports.
• Give us input on Feature requests
• Help us with documentation. Start a thread and documentate a feature/tip/solution. A prime example is Blackosx's Creating Themes Guide.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:10:58 PM by rocksteady »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
14. What about Chameleon's latest feature about BlahBlah?

All new features in subsequent releases are briefly documented in the BootHelp.txt. Please understand that Chameleon 2 is still in beta and complete documentation is not ready yet.

By the way, a fun part of running Chameleon on your hack, is trying out the (new) features yourself.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:11:08 PM by rocksteady »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
15. Unofficial member-contributed Tools, Utilities and Documentation

• Trauma has created BootCDMaker, "a simple utility to rapidly create Chameleon BootCD" and can be found here.

• Sonotone has created Lizzard, a utility that lets you "edit com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist and build a bootable ISO" and can be found here.

• r0m30 has created a guide describing how to install Mac OS X (with the use of Chameleon) when you have no access to a real Mac. His pdf can be found here.

• Distemperus's efforts on documenting Chameleon, a sticky in this very sub-forum.

• Gringo Vermelho posted a step by step guide to building a Chameleon BootCD.

Please note that while we are more than happy to have such contributions, we are not able to provide support for them. Please follow the corresponding threads and contact the members directly for any questions.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:55:54 PM by Blackosx »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Chameleon FAQ (v1.1)
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
16. HELP! I have a question about xYz and no one answers! HUGE PROBLEM! Where are you guys?

• we are allergic to HELP HUGE PROBLEM sort of topics,
• we strive to develop software, not to replace Google.
• a hack that stopped working is not a problem,
• we have just 3 simple rules for this forum,
• we may have a real life, job, problem(s).

btw, do you remember how OSx86 was before Chameleon?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:37:39 AM by rocksteady »