Author Topic: Upgrading from v1.X to v2.x Chameleon... What you need to know (SOLVED)  (Read 13403 times)

SunLizard

• Observer
Gents n Ladies,

Somewhat of a n00b question here, but I have to ask it as I feel I'll be safer getting with a little guidance.

I've got a 1.0.1xx version of Chameleon I'm using on my Hackintosh and it works perfectly.

Never one to leave fixed things be, I've been reading about the wonderful virtues of DSDT.aml configurations and decided I want to muck about with them.  I've read enough to know v2.0 allows you to play with different dsdt.aml files.

I haven't tried to upgrade my current non-raid system *YET* but I figured I'd get into it tonight.

How does one go about moving from a Chameleon v1.x to v2.x and not find yourself re-building the system from scratch?

(I've thoughtfully cloned my working disk so I have that to fall back on in case I goon something up.)

Any help/pointers/tips would be much appreciated.

regards-
S_L

EDIT: (9/18)  The ultimate answer here is that THERE IS NOTHING you need to bring over from Cham v1 to Cham v2.  You should be aware though, if, like me, you were changing bootloaders, that v1 and v2 releases vary wildly in how/where/and what they put in different locations.  Read through this and it may head questions off before you have them.

EDIT: (9/18) You need to know that v1 also hid the boot file on your root directory of your OSX partition. it also used a boot0 to on the 0 block of the mbr to point to that file.  Installing v2 via guides will replace 'boot0' and put 'boot' in a new location, if those things don't match you will get headaches.  Read lots an make backups.  Good luck[/green]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:06:13 AM by SunLizard »
Stable Rig:
mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (ALC889a Audio)
SATA: (2) 750 Gig Baracuda
         (1) NECC 12x Litescribe DVD-DL Burner
         (1) Lite-On 4x BD Burner          video:  Sapphire ATI 2600XT (512) PCI-E OS: 10.5.8 (Vanilla Kernel) bootloader: Cham v1.0.12  Beta: 10.6.0 (sep HDD)

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: Upgrading From older Chameleon
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:08:11 AM »
now why you wanna brake our hearts ?

How does one go about moving from a Chameleon v1.x to v2.x and not find yourself re-building the system from scratch?
messing with bootloaders won't screw a stable OS installation, you're just messing with the bootloader(s)

Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

SunLizard

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:16:11 AM »
Rocksteady,

Not lookin for heartbreak, just some love.

Totally understand bootloaders =/ Stable OS, but I'm building a CloneImage so I have something to muck with DSDT.aml which will rock my stable MacOS.... (or at least render me without a bootable system.)

So how does anyone know of an easy way to put v2RC2 over top of v1?

It maybe easy.... I just figured I'd ask if anyone had done it before I tried it ...

Thanks for the reply.
S_L
Stable Rig:
         (1) Lite-On 4x BD Burner          video:  Sapphire ATI 2600XT (512) PCI-E OS: 10.5.8 (Vanilla Kernel) bootloader: Cham v1.0.12  Beta: 10.6.0 (sep HDD)

Firestryke31

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:30:59 AM »
When I upgraded I just used the package installer from the website.

Of course, I don't have any bizarre pre-kernel hacks going on, so YMMV.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:12 AM »
Yep, just run the installer package and install Chameleon 2.0 in the same place as your older version.
For example, if the old version is not installed on an EFI partition, don't pick EFI in the installer options.

Also check out the nice SATA/PATA injectors and orange-icon-fix kexts that come with Chameleon 2.0.
If you have any patched kexts for your SATA/PATA controllers already in S/L/E you might not need them anymore.
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

SunLizard

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:27 AM »
Hmm.. Thanks.

I'll try the installer package, tonight but, after reading the boards (here and at Insanely) I had been scared off the installer.  I personally like the DITY option of installing anyway (I like to see what goes where) But perhaps I'll give the installer a try.

I'll post results tomorrow evening.
Stable Rig:

SunLizard

• Observer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:29:21 PM »
I attempted to use the package installer.

it hangs here: (from the Log File)

Sep 15 07:18:13 SixMac runner[5055]: Extracting BOM from "/Users/MacOSUser/Downloads/Hackintosh FIles/Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg" to "/Volumes/SnowLeopard_Install/Library/Receipts/boms/org.chameleon.core.bom"

** for the record: SnowLeopard_Install is a USB stick with GUID and EFI partitions already built.
partition scheme:
/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *7.5 Gi     disk2
   1:                        EFI                                  200.0 Mi   disk2s1
   2:              Apple_HFS SnowLeopard_Install       7.1 Gi     disk2s2

=======================
I think for a second attempt I'd like to just do a manual install over-write.

If I use the commands from the readme do I have to have to be concerned about saving anything from my old EFI partition?

Stable Rig:

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »
...do I have to have to be concerned about saving anything from my old EFI partition?

(assuming that you're talking about your 10.5.x files):
KEXTs required for 10.6 will most likely be different but wouldn't hurt to backup

keep your com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist (if you have it) and DSDT.aml (if you have a decent one)

please get a signature with the basic specs of your setup, i'm not a fan of sigs myself but they help troubleshooting hw-specific issues. someone with similar hw may also give you a hint
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:38:50 PM by rocksteady »

SunLizard

• Observer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
Rocksteady,

Got the sig updated.

As far as I know, nothing in the old Chameleon had any of the Hardware specfic information in it.  I believe (not 100% certain) I was running netkas 9.x PC-EFI.

Is there any way to dump my current EFI partion of my startup disk to see what's there (I'm also unclear if that information would really help me as the file name may be date-stamped but probably maintain same file structure. (IE that information would not be useful to me.)

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the v1 Chameleon didn't support DSDT.aml files, did it?

(I've kept copies of all kexts I've had good luck with since my very first 10.4.x installs.)

I will copy my current com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist.  Those are on the Apple HFS partition in the /Library/, correct?
Stable Rig:

SunLizard

• Observer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
I had a bit of time to do some searching around voodoo and insanely and figured I post my results here for the benefit of anyone else who might be suffering n00bism like my self. (Nothing like answering your own questions...)

Is there any way to dump my current EFI partion of my startup disk to see what's there
Yes: you have to mount your EFI partion first.

EDIT: (9/18) It may turn out that your EFI partition is formated in something other than HFS/HFS+ in which case read the man page on 'mount' to figure out how to get it to mount on your system.  THe following assumes your EFI partition is formated in HFS.

(ref: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,327.msg1218.html#msg1218 )

How do you mount your EFI partion?:  Good question! 
Like this: (in terminal)
Code: [Select]
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
(ref: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330 )

Now your EFI partition *should* show up in finder. 
EDIT: (9/18) If it doesn't, you can try restarting Finder using 'killall Finder'

Poke around to hearts content...  when your done make things clean:
(in terminal)
umount /Volumes/EFI (If this fails, do umount -f /Volumes/EFI).
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

I will copy my current com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist.  Those are on the Apple HFS partition in the /Library/, correct?

For my Cham v1 + PC-EFI 9.x I believe these files reside on the Main Apple HFS in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ but I have to get back home to confirm....

Anyone with more experience than me on this issue, feel free to correct any mistakes.  [Thanks rocksteady and munky for reference posts.]

More to follow...
S_L
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:30:55 PM by SunLizard »
Stable Rig:

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 01:15:48 AM »
Looks like I didn't get your drift right (might be that a new member pissed me off seconds after polishing the faq). I thought that by "dumping" your EFI's contents you had something like dd/cloning in mind. Also thought that you knew the basics (how to mount/unmount, etc). Anyways you got that sorted.

Kudos for following up your own post but for (our forum) completion's sake we don't allow cross-posting (rule 1) (only exception being Wikipedia for reference terms). Instead we integrate them here (even by simple copy/paste) and give credit to the OP/author's work. Reason behind this is that lots of other places in the internets go offline/foobar/edited, and it gets just plain hard to make sense. It also helps me + the rest of the Chameleon team spend more time testing Chameleon than ninjaing the forums. I keep track of the most sensible posts to create faqs + tips.

btw: you could find the commands to mount/unmount a EFI partition in Gringo's [How-to] manually install Chameleon 2.0 to an EFI/GPT drive

For my Cham v1 + PC-EFI 9.x I believe these files reside on the Main Apple HFS in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ but I have to get back home to confirm....
Reading your sig, I see you have a retail setup meaning that the contents of Mac OS X folder structure stayed retail/untouched. All you need to backup is your files inside EFI/Extra (ie EFI/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, etc).

SunLizard

• Observer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 02:47:41 AM »
Anyways you got that sorted...

Yeah.  I'm actually okay with most BSD/Linux/*nix commands.  I knew how to mount a partition, just didn't understand originally it worked the same for EFI (not sure how file structure in there worked... probably could have discerned that if I'd thought for a few seconds... anyway)  disk druid (dd) is old hat..

I've been poking across all your forums.  Had the FAQ forum been working originally (it was under construction when I started reading saturday night) I probably would have been able to format my question more accurately.

Side note: Read rule 1 before posted my own response.  I posted info and listed reference (cross-post) as I just used part of it.  Point well taken the EFI/GPT discussion had same info...

On to the real stuff.

My original question (which I'll change Topic to once its sorted) should have been:

"I'm upgrading from Chameleon 1.0.x to v2.... so what do I need to know?"

I'm continuing to poke here and in other places to compile the information... once done I'll formulate a guide here
Turns out theres quite a bit of information on v2 here, and a lot of info on hardware and why you'd want to elsewhere, but no place for one stop shopping on and what the pitfalls are.  Which is my concern...

Anyway, I'll keep at it.  Thanks for the feedback.

S_L
Stable Rig:

SunLizard

• Observer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 07:19:17 AM »
Update....

I tried using my own instructions only to be frustrated...

/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *698.6 Gi   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Gaff                    349.3 Gi   disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Rachel                  348.9 Gi   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *698.6 Gi   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Tyrell                  349.3 Gi   disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Holden                  348.9 Gi   disk1s3
bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: Invalid argument
bash-3.2# fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1
** /dev/rdisk0s1
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: Invalid argument
bash-3.2# mount /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
/dev/disk0s1 on /Volumes/EFI: Incorrect super block.
bash-3.2# fsck /dev/disk0s1
** /dev/rdisk0s1
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? [yn] y

SEARCH FOR ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK FAILED. YOU MUST USE THE
-b OPTION TO FSCK TO SPECIFY THE LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE
SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; SEE fsck(8).
bash-3.2#

it appears that first thing I needed to know is I'm going to have issues mounting my EFI partition...
Stable Rig:

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 02:13:08 PM »
ok,

since what you were trying to achieve wasn't clear, let's start afresh and forget EFI for a moment:

I see that you have a rocksteady 10.5.8 installation, a backup of it and a spare HD for installing 10.6

1. Leave your 10.5.8 installation as is

2. Boot to your 10.5.8 and copy your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to a stick/hd/wherever you like. Assuming that your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist includes hex strings for your GPU/LAN and other useful info for your setup.

3. Search for necessary 10.6 kexts for your hardware and copy them to a stick/hd/wherever you like

4. Decide how you'd like to boot the 10.6 Install DVD (boot dvd, usb stick, etc) and create it accordingly. You'll probably use Chameleon + 10.6 kexts for this step too.

5. Verify that you can boot your 10.6 Install DVD or stick or whatever you used.

Post back to report how your getting along

SunLizard

• Observer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 12:44:14 AM »
Rocksteady,

I'm with you on way forward for 10.6... but that's not my goal for the moment.  It would be nice, but until I get (a) either a new video card as my 2600xT isn supported (yet) or (b) the long awaited 2xxx fix for my card, I'm not really interested in 10.6 yet.

But your objective is sound. 

My real goal is developing a stable DSDT.aml file for my board under 10.5.8

With that in mind, I'm still with you.
------------------------

1.  10.5.8 is left alone (Gaff SATA HDD)  its been cloned (EFI partition and all) to a second drive (exactly the same)   We'll call my clone 10.5.8 stable HDD "Tyrell".  "Tyrell" confirmed booting system in stable capacity.

2.  When you talk about /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist I'm assuming from the original HFS partiontion and NOT the EFI partion on "Tyrell"...  (EFI partion on "Tyrell" sufferes same problem described above with failing to mount due to super block incorrect)

3. kexts backed up in safe location (for me there was only about 4.)

4. I can create a bootstick with 10.6, but as I said the goal is just getting Cham 2 RC2 or RC3. So I created jsut a patch-stick with Cham. Should I put 10.5.8 on the stick or stick with 10.6  I have both release kit and installer.mpkg on a seperat (real) Mac and used the install.mpkg to make a boot stick with Cham rc 2.  I changed the com.apple.Boot.plsit Kernel Flags to use -v because nothing frustrates me more than note knowing why something is failing....

I will try booting off the patch-stick and report back...

Thanks for your help

S_L

Stable Rig: