Author Topic: New to Chameleon bootloader and i have no idea how to customize......PLEASE HELP  (Read 10964 times)

domjt

• Entrant
I've installed chameleon 2 on my hackintosh, and now want to customize as i don't like default bootloader theme. I would like to install this theme http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,666.0.html
but i have no idea how to do it

please help

also how to reduce the time for default boot? for example 5 secs to 2 secs

Thanks

eyvind

Hello fellow stranger...

Today I am going to teach you an AMAZING new tool. It posseses the amazing power of giving people answers to almost ANY question. I have used it almost all my life - yet I am still in awe of its superior skill...

Behold the SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!

The skilled magician who created it purposely put it to help people like YOU!

Thank you for your co-operation :)
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
feed no trolls

new rule: threads that used to get locked for being rudely  against the 3 bloody rules will just get deleted (with no comment) from now on

if this shit hits the fun, we'll take the forums, blog and chameleon underground and we'll solve things nicely...

every time-waster is free to develop his own bootloader, documentation, and forum to answer each and every others time-waster's questions

your call
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:19:54 PM by rocksteady »
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
This turns out to be an interesting aspect of some people's perspective and perception, I'm taking this public for everyones interest:

The following post, "Re: New to Chameleon bootloader and i have no idea how to customize......PLEASE HELP" by rocksteady has been reported by domjt on a board you moderate:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=762.msg3324#msg3324

The reporter has made the following comment:
i started a forum post about how to edit chameleon 2 as i DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT. i'm not a time waster. i used the search function with no luck. i searched google = no luck. I turned to your site and decided to ask as i know many others need to know. I now find my post has been locked and i assume to be closed. How dare you claim to have a forum to help people when you filter questions you like, espically when those questions are genuine and don't cause insult. As a result i'm uninstalling chameleon 2 and using another bootloader as the support offered here is insulting, and obviously not worth approaching. Some advice, if people need help............help them if it means giving them a link to another post then do it. Look at insanleymac. theres many questions on there repeated but people help each other out and guide each other. You could learn ALOT from sites like them.

Regards,
The Voodooprojects Team.

domjt,

If you'd spent more than 1 minute before firing your question, you'd have found out:

- A FAQ went live in this very subforum less than 24h before your post. We didn't make the faq for me nor for the few people who dedicate their own time answering questions.

- CAPITALISATION OF TOPIC TITLES (especially when the word HELP is included) IS NOT WELCOMED.

- A top search result in this subforum yields:[SOLVED] Changing themes? 

Your perception of help "help them if it means giving them a link to another post then do it", actually is the definition of laziness. Do you expect us to spoonfeed everyone? Give them links to posts in the same forum, like my example of the search result above?

If your perception of an ideal, helpful forum is insanelymac then you can just read the faq+rules of other forums and decide if you'd like to join them or not.  There's a ton of topics here stating that this forum is not insanelymac.

We state everywhere that Chameleon is a free open-source project. You won't find a single post here forcing people to use Chameleon. Do you expect us to get on our knees and cry if someone decides to use another bootloader?

Again, you (like everyone else) are free to create your own bootloader, document it and start supporting people for free, on your own free time. See how much repetition of the faqs you can take including (other people's) sheer laziness.

I'm unlocking this topic so that you can share your computer, scientific, OSx86, philosophical, critical thinking or any other thoughts too. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:56:04 PM by rocksteady »

eyvind

Sorry about my reply - i should have explained exactly what Rocksteady wrote.... I was just a little tired of answering the same question again and again. If voodooprojects does not answer your question, please use Google.

For example, if you google "chameleon bootloader change timeout" then the first result is a detailed guide explaining how to set up chameleon (including changing themes) and how to to set the timeout.

Anyway i agree 100% with what rocksteady just said. People here don't have time to answer each question somebody posts. You use the exmple of insanelymac? Have you noticed how that has turned out? Almost every important question isn amed just liek this: ' New to Chameleon bootloader and i have no idea how to customize......PLEASE HELP". How are we supposed to know how important the problem is? Then imagine if you have thousands of similar posts - we just dont have time to go through each one.

Anyway please be civilized and don't swear, even if it is a PM. What I meant by "people like you" was people who ask for help on questions that have already been answered elsewhere, and title them with "Please HELP!" titles.
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
A few more thoughts:

This (my first post in this topic) is the first time I sweared in a forum and I don't like that. It happened because someone appeared to be stress-testing our kindness/tolerance towards our efforts + rules. Our forum is not the place for name calling, swearing or rude vfaq repetition. Save such appetite for elsewhere.

There's nothing personal with insanelymac. What we state is that this forum is not for generic OSx86 this+that. We strive to keep this forum "pure quality". Topic titles+descriptions must make sense so that information here stays searchable. Try searching insanelymac.

The whole OSx86 story is this: A few people develop (bootloaders, kexts, etc) and a zillion of people ask questions. The same few people documentate and a zillion of people continue asking (mostly the same) questions. Is this your perception of fun? Is this the way to move on and help the ones that give their software/time for free?

Do you remember how OSx86 was before Chameleon? Enter Chameleon: swap a couple of cd/dvds and you install retail MacOS X on generic hardware.

Anyone out of puberty should realize that caprice like "HELP me make my Hackintosh work or I'll leave the scene" is a bad joke. If you're looking for a "scene" or other ways to get out of an identity crisis, you're better off looking elsewhere.

fassl

• VoodooLabs
Problem is you can have such discussion in nearly every topic, at least it seems to get overwhelming in my opinion. I think some people even bitch because they are bored and want some laugh, anyway best is to buy EFI-X and get your "proper support" *wink*. Or just **** this all if you can't value the free and time-intensive work from the devs and buy a mac. This scene used to be cool and funny some day (for me at least), but turns more and more into a babyish joke. Can't wait for the moment i can afford a Mac and leave quietly.

greez fassl