overdue-scratch

Author Topic: EFI string vs. GraphicsEnabler  (Read 6546 times)

ezshooter

• Entrant
EFI string vs. GraphicsEnabler
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:17:21 AM »
Hello guys!

I've been using 10.6 with an EFI string in my Boot.plist, but reading the Chameleon RC3 docs, I finally cared to read the flags available. After googling around, I tried removing my EFI string from my Boot.plist and adding the flags GraphicsEnabler=yes and Graphics Mode="1680x1050x32" and everything booted just fine, my GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB properly recognized and fully accelerated.

Is there any REAL advantage in using Chameleon GraphicsEnabler over the traditional EFI string in Boot.plist?

Haven't noticed any difference, just curious if any of these two options are less prone to bugs or has any particular advantage.

Thanks!

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
Re: EFI string vs. GraphicsEnabler
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:41:03 AM »
I don't know but I wouldn't think so. Once the OS is up and running it shouldn't make any difference what injection method you use.

I know NVEnabler.kext is the only way to get working analog TV-out so that's what I'm using.

Try both injection methods and run some benchmarks. Check out OpenGL Extensions Viewer, GeekBench, OpenMark and XBench.
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: EFI string vs. GraphicsEnabler
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:01:47 PM »
What gringo said + REAL advantage is in the eye of the beholder

immediate advantage: if the said options work for you then you get rid of the hassle of creating efi/hex strings
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives