Author Topic: guid partitioning and a windows question  (Read 2070 times)

terramir

• Observer
guid partitioning and a windows question
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:14:12 PM »
got a question I have a ghost image and I was wondering if I could restore that to the second partition (first one is mac OS and I got the chameleon bootloader(ver: 2rc3) I was wondering if the chameleon bootloader has the mbr bootloader software integrated?
Any tips or tricks since I got a working SL up and running sans ( ethernet and wifi :() this is why I need widows xp.
terramir

terramir

• Observer
Re: guid partitioning and a windows question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:30:42 AM »
okies solved it somewhat it works but it's not a clean install of windows since you got the efi partition and the apple journaled when you do a clean install with sl (HD method and the netbook installer app) already on there if during the install you made an msdos partition (with the disktool in the SL installer) when you use ghost to restore your windows xp partition it will write a bootflag to the partition it just restored so when you reboot you end up in windows (bad osx and bootloader gone)
You reboot from a dos startup disk (win98 will do with partbeta on it) go into partbeta 2.40 http://www.ranish.com/part/ and then you press F5 if your using an external hd or flash drive as C: if your using a floppy you should see your HD map
select the Efi partition and press B to boot flag the efi partition and you should have no problems dual booting with chameleon 2rc3. works for me even though the whole disk shows up as guid in the disk utility. I dunno I think that windows xp needs mbr to install but it doesn't really care how the bootflag is directed to the partition in this case chameleon boots the partition.
terramir