Author Topic: How to bypass /Extra from Loading?  (Read 4640 times)

MonkeyDLuffy

• Entrant
How to bypass /Extra from Loading?
« on: September 21, 2009, 01:53:25 AM »
Hi all,

Is there a way to bypass "/Extra" from loading at boot-up with a kernel flag?

The reason I want this is that I have installed Snow Leopard and Leopard in my external hdd.

This is how I configured my External HDD:

Partition 1 = 30gb Snow Leopard Installed and this is where /Extra is installed (Chameleon RC3 Installed)
Partition 2 = 30gb Leopard and there is no /Extra
Partition 3 = 20gb NTFS

I'm having problems booting in my Leopard partition because it loads the /Extra from the Snow Leopard partition. Of course, my Leopard will have errors from the Snow kext.

If it is not possible to bypass /Extra, what other methods do you suggest or any kernel flags to boot directly to the Leopard partition (2).

Thank you so much.

hernandito

• Entrant
Re: How to bypass /Extra from Loading?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:59:37 AM »
dude,

With RC 3, on your Extras folder create 2 folders one named 10.5, one named 10.6. On each of these folders, create a subfolder called Extensions. Copy all the appropriate kexts to the corresponding OS to these folders. Copy Leo kexts to 10.5/Extensions/, copy SL to 10.6/Extensions/. Thants it, it will know which system you are booting and load those particular kexts.

In the Extras folder, you should have your boot.plist, your dsdt.aml and smbios. You should also have your Themes folder here.

MonkeyDLuffy

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:24:39 AM »
EDIT: Spoke too soon!  Almost fixed though :) I'll edit the whole message.

Thanks dude!  It is almost working.

However, I noticed some problems.

I noticed that the /Extra/10.5/Extensions doesn't load when booting to leopard.  The 10.6 loads properly when booting to snow.  I don't know why the 10.5 doesn't work.  I checked the spelling of the folders and they are ok.  I tried putting /Extra/Extensions and it is being loaded in 10.5.  The big problem with this is when booting in snow, it loads both "/Extra/Extensions" AND "/Extra/10.6/Extensions".  So I had to remove the /Extra/Extensions to boot to snow.

What could I be doing wrong?

The other problem is kinda big. I have two DSDT.aml - 1 for Snow, 1 for Leo.

Unfortunately, the dsdt.aml from Snow doesn't work in Leopard.  It kernel panics.  My dsdt.aml from Snow Leopard has the CMOS reset fix and I believe that is the culprit in the panic.  The one from Leopard works both in Snow and Leo, but if I boot to Snow using the dsdt from Leo, CMOS resets (as expected).

My next question is:

Is it possible to AUTO-load two separate dsdt.aml, located in 2 different folders?  I checked out the help file in RC3 and I read that you can pinpoint where the DSDT loads.

kernel flag

DSDT=path.

I haven't tried it yet, but I need to know if there is a way to automatically load it.  I hate to type it every time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again! You've been a great help!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:52:29 AM by MonkeyDLuffy »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 06:42:34 AM »
Use the same DSDT for both, just add the CMOS reset fix to your old DSDT manually. It should not cause a panic, something else is wrong I think. Try comparing both DSDTs in a text file comparing tool.

I can boot both OS fine with the same DSDT.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:45:28 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

thorazine74

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
dude,

With RC 3, on your Extras folder create 2 folders one named 10.5, one named 10.6. On each of these folders, create a subfolder called Extensions. Copy all the appropriate kexts to the corresponding OS to these folders. Copy Leo kexts to 10.5/Extensions/, copy SL to 10.6/Extensions/. Thants it, it will know which system you are booting and load those particular kexts.

In the Extras folder, you should have your boot.plist, your dsdt.aml and smbios. You should also have your Themes folder here.

This only works if Chameleon is installed into EFI System Partition, if you installed it into a standard partition it will not work. /Extra/Extensions from the the system partition is read always and 10.5/10.6 (the one matching the OS version in the partition) ignored.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:24:42 PM »
This only works if Chameleon is installed into EFI System Partition, if you installed it into a standard partition it will not work. /Extra/Extensions from the the system partition is read always and 10.5/10.6 (the one matching the OS version in the partition) ignored.
It will also work if Chameleon is installed to a separate partition.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB