overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Odd sleep behavior of Win7  (Read 2084 times)

greyhairdmonkee

• Entrant
Odd sleep behavior of Win7
« on: October 04, 2009, 01:07:59 AM »
Wondering if anyone has an answer to this odd one...

Dual booting SL and Win7.  Boot drive is SL with the latest Chameleon as the boot mechanism.  When I boot to my Windows 7 installation, Windows will not enter sleep.  I have instrumented sleep and find that the PC won't pass through S2 state to get to S3.  When I remove the SL partition and boot from the Windows 7 boot loader, the problem disappears.  I am thinking this is related to EFI - can someone weigh in - I am not knowledgable enough to figure this out....

Specifics -

The Windows 7 disk is not modified in any way - I have not loaded Chameleon on this drive.  Both are 64 bit installations, motherboard is configured for S3 sleep, HPET enabled, 64bit sleep configuration.

Gigabyte EP45-DS3P, 9450 Quad, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia 260/216, Xonar card for Windows, on-board for SL
Any input or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance... -bill

thorazine74

Re: Odd sleep behavior of Win7
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »
I think thats caused because Chameleon still doesnt do on the fly drive order swapping. Windows 7 expects to store the resume data in the first bios drive and when booting from chameleon that is your SL drive which cant be even be written from Windows.
The only solution I could think of is using windows boot manager or another boot manager that makes Windows 7 your primary drive and chainload chameleon from it.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

greyhairdmonkee

• Entrant
Re: Odd sleep behavior of Win7
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I have multibooted many times, but the boot drive has always been writable by Windows.  I will also research if I can control where the sleep cache is held.  Again, thanks for the suggestion.