Author Topic: [PATCH] config= from boot command prompt, and AdditionalExtensions  (Read 16228 times)

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
Re: [PATCH] config= from boot command prompt, and AdditionalExtensions
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 06:20:45 PM »
Well, about "config="; i'll have to take a look at it later. It's working as usual, what i'm doing wont touch it and at the moment i have to many variables to take care of already.

About:
(a) Well, I'm trying to remove the kexts. I'm really jealous of my friend's hacks having just fakesmc.kext.
(b) I'm lazy and don't want to type more than 10 letters in the boot prompt. 
(c) Smaller code, less time to understand what's going on, easier to maintain.
(a) I'm mainly tweaking, not creating new code and also not removing any of the functionality already present. The first time this problem crossed my path, the stars aligned in a way that, i had no "plan c, d, e..." only my "trusty" booter on a stick; i was testing VoodooPower on /E/Extensions.mkext that makes it load very early so, no help from booting with -s; i had to install MacDrive on windows to replace the mkext by the working one; much more painful then typing some letters at boot prompt.
(b) I'm also lazy, in a practical sense. I mean, if i can do the same thing in a simpler manner, i just do it. Never in favor of loosing functionality or control.
(c) Agree!

Don't get me wrong, i'm not criticizing or saying the way you solved your problem is wrong! Just trying to "sell" my perspective :P To do things your way, i'd have to change completely my philosophy, not to mention removing/changing some "needed" stuff (as it is). Anyway, i will take it in consideration when i have this all lined up. Atm it's incompatible with "my" stuff my schedule! One thing at a time.
So far, it's going smooth.. believe me, i'm taking care of your lazyness ;D
Just need to test...

Edit: a bit of editing. Finally got time to put your patch "on paper".. was only looking at the diffs.
And it seems you are right.. "config=" is not doing anything :P
More later.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:18:54 PM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

tennisgeek

• Observer
  • If ur age < 30, I'm programing longer than ur life
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
Don't get me wrong, i'm not criticizing or saying the way you solved your problem is wrong! Just trying to "sell" my perspective :P To do things your way, i'd have to change completely my philosophy, not to mention removing/changing some "needed" stuff (as it is). Anyway, i will take it in consideration when i have this all lined up. Atm it's incompatible with "my" stuff! One thing at a time.
So far, it's going smooth.. believe me, i'm taking care of your lazyness ;D
Just need to test...

If you send me your diff, I'm happy to build and test, though I wouldn't have time 'til this Sunday.

I appreciate your help tremendously. Along the way, I've learned a few things.

AFAIK, Lazyness is a fundamental human rights, and the foundation of our technological advancements.
If people don't mind working, we'd be still using DOS, have no cars, cell phones, Google, or Mac.  :P

One thing I noticed -- I don't like is how smbios.plist's search path is not same as the c.a.boot.plist.
If the boot.plist is loaded from ramdisk, I wish smbios.plist is also loaded from the ramdisk.
As it is now, it's from the root partition only.
What I'm getting at is, all those .plist loading should be rolled into one function, so that there is no doubt that they are all loaded from one location.

Having said that, I have little problem with theme.plist, as it can only be loaded before the override.

No rush.

-- TG

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 05:24:30 PM »
Hi TG,
AFAIK, Lazyness is a fundamental human rights, and the foundation of our technological advancements.
.. damn right!! :)
You've been helpful too. Your patch was very educational! Helped me to understand (or start to) a lot of stuff.
Well, as it is, i got DSDT doing the same thing as boot.plist... if it's there it's loaded, even from OS specific folders.
I tried to do the same to smbios.plist but, got into a wall :P see, after all we are in the same wave length :)
Will send you a diff later today or tomorrow.. just need to clean up and edit comments.
I'm so tired, but pretty pleased with my self  :D

See ya later...
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

tennisgeek

• Observer
  • If ur age < 30, I'm programing longer than ur life
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »
Grrr...

This is what happend...

Internal Disk:
MyMac_10_6_2/Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

USB Disk:
SnowLeo_Installer_10_6_0/Extra/Extensions/

I screwed up my Internal Disk, so I rebooted, but Internal Disk still being the boot volume by BIOS.
Me thinking -- Well I can boot from USB Disk and fix up Internal Disk, choosing the volume from Chameleon!

But, Chameleon loads kexts from Internal Disk because it's "the boot volume", and SleepEnabler being very sensitive to the kernel version, it panics at boot because USB Disk's kernel is 10.6.0, retail DVD SnoeLeo installer kernel.

Yes, if I change the root volume to USB disk (from BIOS, in my case), I do not see PANIC.
But, why can't it load the kexts from just the disk chosen at boot menu of Chameleon + RAM disk on that volume?
This is not user friendly. Very unfriendly.

(This is why I'm trying to remove all PM kexts from /E/E. I absolutely hate PM disabler and SleepEnabler in /E/E.)

-- TG