Author Topic: need help Chameleon boot: dual partition OSX  (Read 3167 times)

whxde

• Entrant
need help Chameleon boot: dual partition OSX
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:26:29 PM »
Hello all and thanks for interest...

I hope to get some hints here, on the DellMini Forum I could not get useful help.

My question may be simple.
I have OSX 10.6 running on a Dell Mini 10v. Booting from Chameleon 2.0 RC3. (NetBookInstaller)

From beginning I initialized the 160GB HD with two GUID partitions for OSX.
Successful installed OSX and working on part 1.
Then I copied the whole content to the other partition, using CCC carbon copy cloner,
and ran NetBookInstaller again to get the bootloader and all needed files copied.

So, I start up, press a key, to get into the bootloader menu.
It shows up with the two seperate partition icons.

Now, I dont know the usual way to select the boot-partition.
Can I select only the partition icon I need, and then press RETURN?

Or do I need a command to boot?
I did some tries with device rd=... (I am not sure about syntaxes and use of the bootloader)

Anyway, nothing brang me forward.
I am unsure, if there is something wrong on the second partition, or if I miss something special.

Maybe someone can help me here, on how to select or prepare the needed partition to boot.

Thanks you much for comments..
whxde

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: need help Chameleon boot: dual partition OSX
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »
From beginning I initialized the 160GB HD with two GUID partitions for OSX.
Successful installed OSX and working on part 1.
Well done :)
So I guess here you have the /Extra folder on your system partition? and Chameleon allows you to boot your system?

Then I copied the whole content to the other partition, using CCC carbon copy cloner,
and ran NetBookInstaller again to get the bootloader and all needed files copied.
So you duplicated your first partition to the second, which would have included the /Extra folder.

Here you can remove the /Extra folder from the second partition to save confusion as Chameleon will only use one, and if you booted your machine here then you should have been able to select the second partition from Chameleon and boot in to it.

I don't know what the (NetBookInstaller) does but I guess you wouldn't have needed to run it again as your first partition contained everything you needed. 

So, I start up, press a key, to get into the bootloader menu.
It shows up with the two seperate partition icons.

Now, I dont know the usual way to select the boot-partition.
Can I select only the partition icon I need, and then press RETURN?
That's correct. From the device selection screen you can highlight which partition you want to boot and press RETURN.

Anyway, nothing brang me forward.
I am unsure, if there is something wrong on the second partition, or if I miss something special.

Maybe someone can help me here, on how to select or prepare the needed partition to boot.
So are you saying you selected the second partition, pressed Return an it failed to boot?
Try the steps again but like I said above, remove the duplicated /Extra folder from the second partition and without running the (NetBookInstaller) on the second partition.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

whxde

• Entrant
Re: need help Chameleon boot: dual partition OSX
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:40:26 PM »
Hi BlackOSX !

Thanks very much for your reply!

ufff...... !

I was writing you a reply, y while doing this, testing aside....
the whole time, the Mini booted perfectly from partition 2 !!!!!!

But I didnt realized this.  Usually, on a Mac the boot disk icon is above on the desktop.
And on the hacked Mini not. So I was thinking, the Mini was booting again from part 1.

Now, I wanted to check the Extra folder, and for this I used Onyx to switch the system to show hidden
folders. Now Onyx showed me the security info at the first start, and than I waked up !

unbelieveble....

So, indirectly you helped me :)

Thanks and good luck for now...

whxde