Author Topic: XP doesn't boot after installing chameleon on windows system partition  (Read 5236 times)

geom

• Entrant
I've installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my Thinkpad R60 on a third partition.
Every thing worked fine with the windows bootloader. I first installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3 on the mac partition (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on disk0s5). This did, that I first had to choose the system to boot in the windows bootloader, and then a second time in chameleon. I thought it would be better to install chameleon on my first Windows partition (NTFS on disk0s1), to have the choice between Windows XP and OS x. I did it, and run into great problems, since I couldn't boot anymore.
Booting stops with a black screen with boot0: Error and a blinking cursor.

When I tried to recover my Windows boot sector with fixmbr, fixboot and bootcfg /rebuild I had the problem, that my Windows install CD does not find the harddisk, so I'm unable to use the recovering shell from Windows.
In Linux the disk and all the partitions are recognized and I can access the data. I've tried to fix the mbr with testdisk under Linux, but without success. My first Windows partition still doesn't boot. (Still blinking cursor)

I've even took the harddisk from the laptop, so that I could use it as external usb-hd. Then Windows recognizes all the partitions and I can access my data. But still no chance to boot from the disk.

When I'm starting my system with a Paragon partition manager CD, the installed Windows XP is found as installed OS, and I can boot the system normally (both Windows and Leopard OS X works).

So my system is still ok, but chameleon left some traces, that prevent a normal bootup.

Has someone an idea how to fix that???

After a week of late night work I really don't know what else I could to.

Thanks in advance

Georges
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:58:46 PM by geom »

geom

• Entrant
Re: XP doesn't boot after installing chameleon on windows system partition
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »
After all it wasn't really a Chameleon problem.

After I could execute fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console of Windows XP, everything worked fine again.
The main problem was, that my Windows XP boot CD didn't support SATA drives by default. So Windows couldn't access my HD, and therefore couldn't start the recovery console to fix the mbr and the boot sector.

I first had to build a boot CD with the appropriate drivers for the HD with http://www.nliteos.com/.

Now everything works fine again.

Georges

blitzkrieg

• Entrant
Hy, i'd like to add that when i upgraded Chameleon from Snow Leopard i accidentally installed it on the Windows 7 partition (C:) and my way to restore the MBR and to boot again in Windows was to fire a bootable dvd with Active@Boot Disk .I choose Active @ Partition Recovery, highlight the Windows partition and from Tools hit Fix Boot Sector with "duplicate CBS into PBS", then hit Recover.
Cheers