Author Topic: Install Chameleon using Linux or Windows?  (Read 48638 times)

D0nR0sa

Re: Install Chameleon using Linux or Windows?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 02:52:14 AM »
Yes, dd if=boot0 of=/dev/sdX destroys any existing MBR/GPT :( that's why I used testdisk to rewrite the partition table

thorazine74

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »
dd'ing the mbr wasnt a really bright idea I guess.
Maybe it would be easier to skip boot0 and boot1 completely, and just use grub to load the boot file straight.
In any case you will be able to boot from hds only, not from the dvd.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

gordonf

• Observer
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
So D0nRosa, you managed to install Chameleon by destroying your target disk and then rebuilding it using testdisk, then copying the needed files. thorazine74 suggests using grub to load the boot0 and boot1h (or boot1f32 if using FAT32) into the target disk instead, to avoid the rebuild mistake.

I'm not so much expecting to boot from a DVD after installing Chameleon this way, rather, the system would boot the Chameleon partition and then I'd use Chameleon itself to start an installation disk.

I'm just a little lost after reading this and after reading Gringo's guide on installing Chameleon to an EFI partition. Assuming a blank or safe-to-erase target disk, it seems I'd be creating an EFI partition by hand and then installing Chameleon and the boot records into it. Does that sound right?

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 06:07:57 PM »
EFI partition, MBR, NTFS, FAT, does it matter? Better to install Chameleon on an USB flash drive and use that to boot.

Because once you get to the Mac OS installer you will want to format the drive in GUID/HFS+J anyway, wiping the entire drive.
When the installer is done, use your flash drive to boot the OS one last time, and then install Chameleon to the EFI partition of the system drive.

The real problem here is how you're going to boot your install DVD.
Only cdboot can boot optical media (disk-swap method like Boot-132) the standard Chameleon cannot.           
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:13:52 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

gordonf

• Observer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 05:59:06 AM »
The real problem here is how you're going to boot your install DVD.
Only cdboot can boot optical media (disk-swap method like Boot-132) the standard Chameleon cannot.           

Great, so I'm barking up the wrong tree with this approach. Or just researching the wrong boot loader?

Maybe this should turn into a feature request: Given a working Chameleon installation, boot from install media?

Well I'll try to go through the exercise once and see what happens. If I can at least get the boot loader to install, that'll be a feat in itself. Maybe RC4 will support booting from a DVD.

thorazine74

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
I suggested using grub or grub4dos to load "boot" file directly avoiding all the troubles with writing boot0 and boot1 to the disk.
There are mods like netkas 10.2 and digitaldj cpu patch that have a dvd driver but they dont work reliably in my experience. You cant boot the retail dvd with chameleon but you can boot a copy of it in a hd partition, thats what most people is doing, of course the problem with that is there is no easy way of dumping a hfs+ dvd or dmg into an hd partition without OS X.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

r0m30

• Forum Moderator
    • r0m30's OSX86 site
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 05:05:19 AM »
I just posted a first draft howto in this message
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,911.0.html

r0m30
--- r0m30 ---
HP Mini 1033CL (Costco) OSX Retail 10.6 Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658
HP m9077c -  ASUS IPIBL-LA MoBo with Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Retail 10.6.2 Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684